First Road Bike

SpaceBlaster
SpaceBlaster Posts: 8
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I was hoping some of you seasoned professionals/keen enthusiasts would be able to give me some advice on buying a road bike.

I'm 15 years old and 5' 9".
I currently have a felt hybrid and have so for quite a few years but after riding my dad's bike for a few months, i've decided to get a road bike, but if i'm being perfectly honest I don't have a clue how to choose one from the large amount of choice, I plan to buy it second hand and spend less than £600 as its taken me a year to save up.

I plan to use it for training and would probably ride it for 10+ hours a week as I currently do about 6+ , I would also hope to ride a few small competitions and charity rides any where from 15-70 miles (I entered charity races on my hybrid and USUALLY finished well) I wouldn't mind a bike with an aggressive racing position and comfort is only 40% with the quality of the bike being 60%.

Any advice regarding brands/models or even just tips on choosing the right bike or places to buy it from would be appreciated, Tom

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    What is your Fathers bike that you have been riding, does it fit you and how have you got on with it?
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    I am 16 and started road biking 2 and a half years ago this year I recently decided to upgrade as i had outgrown my previous bike and managed to pick up a caad10 for the same sort of price as your budget and got it off the classifieds on here which are definately worth a look , I would definately reccomend getting a good quality aluminuim frame as if comfort isnt a hughe priority the extra stiffness of the aluminium wont matter and you will generally get a better overall package for your price. However i would also look at possibly buying a second hand bike for a bit under budget and spending the remaining money on upgrading the stock wheels as this can make quite a big difference to the ride of the bike.
  • His bike is a old Scott Roadster S2 , It feels the right fit so i'll check the size when I get home today.

I've gotten on fairly well with it considering that its gears are knackered :cry: , so I've just ridden it in two gears.
    The riding position is good but feels quite tame??? I' m not too sure if that's a normal thing.
    Other than that it is a good ride, it feels fairly responsive.

Dombhoy- I'll defiantly have a look out for one and will probably check out the classifieds on here, Would you be able to specify a few brands of wheels worth looking at?