Clipless pedals when carrying a child in a childseat?

sirlukas
sirlukas Posts: 13
The time has finally come and I will have to do the honour of carrying my son on my bike in a childseat.
I use normal SPD pedals and shoes, but with a child onboard I have doubts if it is a good idea or not?

What is your experience guys?

Do I stay with full clipless (double sided?
Do I change for Shimano PD-T780 XT MTB SPD pedals which are flat on one side, so I can still use them when cycling alone?
Or should I forget about clipless and go flat full stop?

I only have one bike (that I use for commuting) so I would really like the versatility if possible.

PS. Mind you I have not had an SPD related fall yet in 3 years of using them.

Thank you!

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    FWIW, I carried on using clipless on my bike when I had a child seat on the back and didn't have a fall or anything even approaching a near-miss in that time (or, at least, not with the bike seat on!) I guess it depends how confident you are with clipless pedals but, if in doubt, it takes less than a minute to switch between the two...

_
  • sirlukas
    Underscore wrote:
    FWIW, I carried on using clipless on my bike when I had a child seat on the back and didn't have a fall or anything even approaching a near-miss in that time (or, at least, not with the bike seat on!) I guess it depends how confident you are with clipless pedals but, if in doubt, it takes less than a minute to switch between the two...

_
    Thank you!
    I am very confident, as I said, no falls due to being clipped in in three years, and SPD is easy to get out off.
    I am tempted to go for one sided SPD pedals like the ones above so I can try both?
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Please don't take this as being rude, but if you have to ask the question I'd suggest you probably should use flat pedals, or at least the double-sided ones giving you the spd option for your commute.

Child + seat adds a fair amount of weight quite high up and so the bike is definitely less stable.
  • sirlukas
    Please don't take this as being rude, but if you have to ask the question I'd suggest you probably should use flat pedals, or at least the double-sided ones giving you the spd option for your commute.

Child + seat adds a fair amount of weight quite high up and so the bike is definitely less stable.
    Thank you, no offence taken, and I am very confident with SPD, however was wondering if there was a generic rule, that people say, never use SPDs for some reason, even being that the shoes might be less stable on the ground due to the SPD mounts.
    I think that answers my question and I will go for the double sided pedals, as I need an upgrade on my old ones.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Why do you think you should consider not using them?

If you are as confident as you say then I dont understand why you are even having the thought, never mind asking the question on here? I wouldnt think twice because I dont see any reason why there would be an issue, unless for some reason you are not 100% with them already...?

Why are SPD shoes less stable on the ground? Are you talking Road SPD-SL or off road SPD? If the road ones then maybe that might be an issue but off road SPD shoes generally have grip protruding around the cleat to walk on quite happily, albeit the plastic uses is maybe quite hard. You can get 'bike & hike' SPD shoes which have as normal a sole as any other trainer/shoe, just have a slot cut out in the middle for the cleat. I have the Nortwave Mission which are like this as an example but dont use them much these days.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    There is no 'generic rule'. If it feels safe, do it. If not, don't.

I'd be more inclined to use SPD , Crank Bros or similar, rather than LOOK (and similar) road cleats, as the road ones can give you the odd 'skittish' moment when you put a foot down on cold, slippery, cambered tarmac.

You should have no issues at all with SPD cleats - and you'll start to notice a lot of other people who zip their kids around while clipped in.

Be aware that riding with a kiddie seat is an art unto itself. Never mind the kerfuffle of loading the kiddie and keeping the bike upright while you hop on... or the theatrics of having to dismount unusually to avoid kicking junior in the nose.

The main issue is the extraordinary effect the seated infant has both on the vertical and horizontal centre of mass (or gravity). There is a reason why people transporting Junior seem to corner gently and climb sedately. The bicycle makes up its own rules about how to behave. It's not dangerous; it's fun for you and for Junior, but it is VERY DIFFERENT.

I hope you and the sprog both enjoy it. But do be ready for how different the bicycle feels with that weight hanging over the rear wheel.
  • sirlukas
    Thank you all for your input, going to order the Shimano PD-T780 pedals as I already use Shimano shoes RT32 that allow me to walk, new pedals will give me best of both worlds before I buy another bike just for (speed) myself :)