Carbon Frame and child seat

shanecl
shanecl Posts: 15
edited May 2015 in MTB general
Guy's

I'm looking at a Giant XTC carbon frame but there is a condition attached with the permission to buy from the missus. I have to be able to attached a child seat for the odd family cycle. The one i am looking at is the type Halfords sell that clamps to the seat tube. Would you reckon this would have an adverse effect on the carbon as i suppose its not designed to take stress at that angle. She is currently 10kg and the seat will do her up to four years of age.

Tried to upload picture but can't

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a cheap hack bike for the job, ideally get a kiddy seat braced to the dropouts or you are putting one hence of a bending load into the seat tube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shanecl
    I was thinking that but i would be shot if i came home with two bikes, i already have a 2 roadbikes lol. It's not the most ideal way of doing this but it's all i'm allowed
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    shanecl wrote:
    Would you reckon this would have an adverse effect on the carbon
    yes. most carbon frame have reinforment for the front Mech so god knows what the weight of a child on a clamped braket will do.

as above cheap hack for kid duties.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • shanecl
    Was hoping i would be wrong, it's not often though, i'll look for a alu frame so. Thanks guys
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll have a kiddy on the back, so the bikes weight and performance is rather irrelevant, just get a decentish used MTB off EBay or gumtree, v-brakes would be fine, you could get a more than good enough bike for circa £50-60.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.