Chain Skipping

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited May 2015 in The workshop
Fitted new chain over weekend as it had just reached the 1mm point. Riding in this morning and it's jumping on the cassette in the 12 and 15 cog, all others seem OK.

The cassette has only covered 2600 miles (it was new with the chain I have just taken off, that seems a bit too soon to go don't you think? I will recheck the indexing again tonight but pretty sure it was OK when i done it at the weekend.

Any comments?

Comments

• essex-commuter
    Indexing was fine so the cassette must be worn already. I know i let the chain go to 1mm but the cogs must be made of cheese.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'd be very surprised if the 12 and 15 tooth cogs are worn unless you're riding small-small all the time.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • essex-commuter
    drlodge wrote:
    I'd be very surprised if the 12 and 15 tooth cogs are worn unless you're riding small-small all the time.

I do tend to use the smaller cogs more as I get a better chain line compared to big ring and middle cassette.

New cassette ordered. I think this time I will use the big ring more and more of the cassette...and change the chain at .75.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I had that on one chain change and thought I'd left it too long but I carried on using it and within a few days it had settled down. I'm now due another change, although this time the cassette will go as well.