Garmin 1000 and battery life

stueys
stueys Posts: 1,332
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
There was a thread on here a while back discussing how the latest firmware updates had improved the battery life on the 1000. Just wanted to check what kind of battery life people were seeing on these now? Has it improved further?

Currently running an 800 which has great battery life and wondering whether I keep that for the 3 or 4 'epic rides' I do a year when I could be out for upto 12 hours.

Thanks

Comments

• teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    I've had 11 hours with all sensors switched off & screen brightness down to minimum. That's with the new software
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Thanks for that, so the new software has definitely improved things. With all sensors on (for me a power meter) and navigation running, it sounds as if 8 hours should be very safe now?
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I did 112 miles (my longest - yay me) over 7 hours ride time yesterday (was on more than 8 hours I'd imagine) . About 60 miles in I was worried about batt life for the rest of the ride so I turned off bluetooth and EWW01 just as a precaution. Finished with 18% remaining. I'm never going to do rides longer than that so I'm pleased with that.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    When you say 'navigation running', this can take two forms:

With the maps on the display and constantly updating, battery life is drastically reduced on the 1000 but also on the 800/810 - and I mean drastically as constantly updating this seems to be a big drain.

With the stats page showing and a route being followed in the form of popups to tell you a turn is coming up, things are much better - the route following itself doesnt seem to take too much battery.
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    I finished a 12.5 hour ride with 100% battery on my 1000 after using one of these:-

http://www.tetenaluk.com/kodak-smartpho ... ttery.html

Cable tied it to the stem and key it plugged into the Garmin.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Get one of those free if you are on EE/T-Mobile/Orange: http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/out-and-about/ee-power with free replacement for a fully charged one at any EE shop - would be great for touring!