Improve agility on my Hardtail - Specialized Rockhopper 2014

Redkyte
Redkyte Posts: 16
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
I've had my Specialized Rockhopper 2014 (29er) for just over a year and I'm now getting well and truly stuck into the hobby and having a blast! I've done a lot of off-roading and have been hitting the trails recently. I've identified a key area where I'd like the bikes performance tweaked but don't know the best course of action.

My bike has all of the stock components installed apart from the DMR V8 pedals so this will be the first core component I'll be replacing. I've only just started looking into the technical side of MTB'in so need some advice as to which of the following solutions would improve the agility of my bike; if I have missed a solution please suggest it!
Should I:?
1. Replace the Stem with a shorter model?
2. Replace my handlebar with a shorter one?
3. Could I downsize my tyres to a 650 model keeping the same frame, fork and disc brakes?
4. Replace my Fork with one which has less travel?

I don't want to fork out an excessive amount to only see a minor improvement so am inclined to go for the Stem replacement. I would imagine a shorter handlebar could ruin balance and perhaps hinder some off-road climbs but at this point I'm only spitballing ideas.
Anyone's input on the subject would be highly appreciated!
Cheers!

Pics below to get an idea of my dimensions and setup:
IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can't fit smaller wheels and tyres. It will handle really badly and your cranks will be constantly hitting the ground.
    Shorter forks will reduce stability.
    Wider bars and shorter stem may improve steering and stability but could effect comfort. You will have to experiment.
    The best possible improvement to your bikes handling would be to improve your skills. Learn to ride better and you will be faster everywhere.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The best possible improvement to your bikes handling would be to improve your skills. Learn to ride better and you will be faster everywhere.

I agree, spent a lot on my bike but by far the best thing I've bought was a skills course.
  • Redkyte
    Redkyte Posts: 16
    DJ58 wrote:
    Cheers, I've given a few of those Tech Tuesdays a watch and they're really informative!
    You can't fit smaller wheels and tyres. It will handle really badly and your cranks will be constantly hitting the ground.
    Shorter forks will reduce stability.
    Wider bars and shorter stem may improve steering and stability but could effect comfort. You will have to experiment...
    Thanks for your input, I had overlooked the cranks!

As for getting a shorter stem I've been seeking advice from a couple of different local bike shops (both Evans Cycles) but they have both contradicted each other. One said the reduced Stem size could make it twitchy and cause me to trip up on roots, rocks etc. but the other advised it.

As per the video DJ58 linked from pinkbike, I'm inclined to try a 40-50mm Stem and will continue to improve as this comes as a result from enjoy my rides.

Please share if anyone has any additional input or can share their experience after executing this modification.

Much appreciated!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A shorter stem on its own will reduce stability but combined with wider bars it can sharpen up steering without loosing stability.
    How short you should go with the stem and how wide you should go with the bars no one can tell you. It's a very personal thing.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Antm81 wrote:

I agree, spent a lot on my bike but by far the best thing I've bought was a skills course.

Both good advice, a fitter more skilled rider will be faster all round. Took me a couple of months to adjust to my 29er hardtail properly but now i ride alot smoother and faster.