Allez

dmitch1987
dmitch1987 Posts: 22
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to get my 1st full road bike. After years of riding a hybrid Boardman comp and falling in love with road riding im looking at taking the plunge.

Think i have narrowed it down to the specialized allez (tried for fit and seems perfect) just wondering what your thoughts are on

Specialized Allez Sport 2015 Road Bike for £600 or Specialized Allez 2015 Road Bike for £460 .... Is the sport worth the extra dosh.

Or should I get the standard and spend the extra cash on upgrades?

Cheers in advance all hope you had a cracking weekend!

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I have got a Tiagra equipped Specialized Allez Elite 2015 which is a fantastic bike that also shares the same geometry with the two that you mention (at least, that's my understanding anyway). Sorry but my only direct experience of the other models that you mention amounted to very short test rides which all persuaded me that Tiagra groupset was the way to go - it just seemed so much better to operate than Sora and Claris BUT it has to be said that they both also did their jobs.
    Other regulars on the forum will know better than me but I really can't see the point in buying the cheaper model with the intention of spending extra on upgrades straightaway as you suggest in your original post.
    You might not want to hear it (and maybe I shouldn't say it!) but, was I you, I would find £720 and buy the Allez Elite as I did.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • dmitch1987
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I have got a Tiagra equipped Specialized Allez Elite 2015 which is a fantastic bike that also shares the same geometry with the two that you mention (at least, that's my understanding anyway). Sorry but my only direct experience of the other models that you mention amounted to very short test rides which all persuaded me that Tiagra groupset was the way to go - it just seemed so much better to operate than Sora and Claris BUT it has to be said that they both also did their jobs.
    Other regulars on the forum will know better than me but I really can't see the point in buying the cheaper model with the intention of spending extra on upgrades straightaway as you suggest in your original post.
    You might not want to hear it (and maybe I shouldn't say it!) but, was I you, I would find £720 and buy the Allez Elite as I did.

Valid point bud! Id rather wait an extra month and get something a bit better. Going to have another look about and see what else is about.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    dmitch1987 wrote:
    Going to have another look about and see what else is about.

Is the correct answer. Plenty of non-Spec better options around.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What other bikes did you dismiss in 'narrowing it down' to an Allez?
    Have you not already 'had a look around' in getting that far?
  • dmitch1987
    Carbonator wrote:
    What other bikes did you dismiss in 'narrowing it down' to an Allez?
    Have you not already 'had a look around' in getting that far?

Not nearly enough if im being honest. tried out a few of the GT and boardman bikes also a friends cannondale. wanting to try out a sportif fit bike as interested in the slight increase in comfort found the Fujis are decently priced!

Think I need to get into my local bike shop and try out a range.