DT Swiss RS 1550 or 2nd hand Ultegra 6700 wheels?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,883
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Have noticed you can land a second hand pair of Ultegra wheels for circa £130, but also noticed these reduced wheels on Rose - and I have a voucher to use, so could probably get them here for £165.

1700g, so heavier than the Ultegra's - worth the premium for brand new wheels?
Will be 11spd compatible as well.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/dt-swiss-rs-1550-28700-c-road-wheel-set/aid:645965
1921205_1.gryzquadya.jpg
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The rear DT comes with the desirable ratchet system, so basically you are looking at a pair of DT 350 hubs, which alone cost around that figure...

I am not the biggest fan of DT Swiss assembled wheels, but these use DT competition spokes, which are more tolerant to low building tension than lighter spokes, which you will often find in their builds

The are also upgradeable, meaning if you wear the rims or you don't like those rims, you can easily "upgrade" them with better/lighter/wider/deeper/tubeless rims or whatever you fancy.... being 24/28 the options are endless and the hubs should be very good quality.

I don't find the ultegra wheels anything special and the 6700 will only be 9-10 speed compatible
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,883
    Thankyou for that informative reply Ugo, much appreciated.

For the money they sound like a decent deal, so I have just placed my order :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Just got the RS 1550 that I ordered on sunday for my son's bike. The box was so light that I had to open it to check they were inside! Look like nice wheels and rumour on other threads here suggests they are a little lighter than the 1700g that Rose state.

Replacing the stock wheels/tyres on his Triban 3 red with these and some Pro4 SC tyres - hoping he will love the change!