Shoes upgrade

ilav84
ilav84 Posts: 124
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to upgrade from my current shimano shoes. Had my heart set on SIDI carbon vernice ones. Bought them and all but they don't fit my foot. The 45s are too small and the 46s are the right size for my toe but too big everywhere else. They're too expensive to buy if they don't fit properly. For that price I would want them to fit perfectly.

What are my options of good quality shoes.

Obviously they must look nice, but would like something that lasts long, carbon sole and comfortable for long days in the saddle.

Have now turned my attention to white Fizik R1s.

Fizik-R1-Uomo-road-shoe-2.jpg

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I think you will struggle. Sidi's are some of the narrowest/lowest volume shoes you can buy. Did you try them with some proper insoles rather than the stock Sidi one's? Mavic are the only shoes I knoe of that size up narrower than Sidi's
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You've answered your own question and yet, bizarrely, carried on down the same route of just picking out random shoes that you like the look of.

Get down to the LBS and try as many pairs as you can - or just order a load on free returns if you're too lazy/there isn't an LBS etc. You need to choose the ones that fit the best!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    edited May 2015
    Giro are pretty small although they also do a HV (high volume) version for some shoes.

I've Giro Trans in white and Treble in black: love them both.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRp0pCrDFRoVF-E2QBZvTUjeC-GStOUkMlQBj8LGVEFYJadOJxV&usqp=CAE

If I was splashing out now I'd be getting the Factor AAC in red/white

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlaFBgsBvsNb4dApo7X6IZkYio5GNqy72nlPM9ypMyJqGo4X8&usqp=CAY
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Sidi are a hard act to beat. I also find Spesh S Works shoes very comfortable with stiff carbon sole. Slightly delicate uppers albeit I suspect the Vernice shoes require a bit of tlc.

Peter
  • Bigbopper81
    Bigbopper81 Posts: 16
    If 45 are to small and 46 to big why don't you try the 45.5 ? Just a thought :)
  • ilav84
    ilav84 Posts: 124
    If 45 are to small and 46 to big why don't you try the 45.5 ? Just a thought :)

Complicated but I got a deal on them from Chainreactions as they are the sponsor of our club. There was also a sale on them as well. So I got the sale price plus another 20% off on them and also a £20 voucher on them as well. The best price on the net that do half sizes is about £100 more. The problem is that CRC don't do half sizes for that particular model.

I was down tonight to get my money back and tried the SIDI ergo in a 44.5 (the only model that has a half size in it strangely) just to see. Too tight in the toe area but good everywhere else so the sales assistant has ordered a 45 to the store for me to try on.

Also tried Bont and Mavics on. Wasn't too keen on any of them to be honest.

I do love the look of those Fizik R1s. Beautiful but no one that I know has them so I haven't had any reviews on them.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,155
    watch out for the sidi footbeds, mine were very thin and gave no support at all

if you need to fit better ones make sure there'll be enough room - for instance the spesh bg footbeds which are a bit bulkier than the sidi ones
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Wot sungod said - I'd go as far as to recommend you try the Sidi's on with a pair of Spesh Footbeds to make sure there is room should you decide that the Sidi insoles are pants (which they are!).

Peter
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    northpole wrote:
    Wot sungod said - I'd go as far as to recommend you try the Sidi's on with a pair of Spesh Footbeds to make sure there is room should you decide that the Sidi insoles are pants (which they are!).

Peter

A fair few comments mention the footbeds/insoles.

Note that the Wires have a new insole which is on a par with others, they no longer come with the paper thin blue ones of old.

I went through exactly this last year, I always took a Sidi 45 and it fit perfectly. In the Wires a 45 is possibely a bit "roomy" in the forefoot, yet perfect lengthwise, the 44.5 was too small. I bit the bullet and wear the 45s as is, but doubt I'd be able to buy Sidi again if this trend continues. A pity, because I really love Sidi, and own 5 pairs at the moment.