Breathable lightweight wind jacket

the_cyclist_of_catan
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
It's that time of year when it's too cold for me first thing to get away with a SS Jersey and arm warmers, but if I load up (LS top or jacket) I fry after the first hour or so.

A gilet isn't the answer (I'm not convinced that a gilet is EVER the answer, as its my arms that feel coldest and least comfortable in the lower early morning. The answer is a lightweight wind proof. I've been using an Aldi £5-special, which works well from the point of view of raising my temperature, but it's a little bit TOO "boil in the bag".

I don't really need heavy duty rain protection - I've got one jacket for all-day downpours, and another packable rain jacket for shorter wet spells. It's a wind jacket I need, I reckon.

Two names have thus far caught my eye - the Sportful Hot Pack 5, and the Castelli Velo. Has anyone got any views on their respective merits, or is there another jacket I should consider?
They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It depends on your build and how tightly fitted you want. Castelli make good kit but if you are not quite slim it won't fit. Gore make looser jackets which are still fine and not like a flapping sail but light and easily stowed in Jersey pocket. Checkout the current sales, my gore jacket was reduced from £140 to £60.
  • 70\ʹspenguin
    70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
    Rapha. It. Just. Works.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Just got a sportful r&d wind jersey, best bit of kit I've ever bought.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    I have a Sportful Fiandre Light WS and it's fantastic... very tight racing fit though so depending on your build you may need to "size up"
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've also got the Sportful R&D wind jersey - quite brilliant in that it's VERY breathable but also effective in taking the sting out of the wind. Works well in a range of temps.
    http://road.cc/content/review/137570-sp ... ind-jersey
    79.99 from PBK and Wiggle at the moment (down from 140 RRP)

Castelli Gabbas are also good, and offer decent water resistance too, not as insulating or as breathable as the R&D jersey IME
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    The sportful hot pack 5 isn't very breathable and gets condensation on the inside despite a few small vents. Assos make the blitzfeder which is very breathable and lightweight, but expensive. I'd be tempted to try the sportful fiandre light no-rain top.
  • I probably wasn't clear enough; I'm chiefly commuting at the moment, and I want something lightweight and packable to deal with the variance in temperatures I experience. Though all-day rides often see wildly differing temperatures at this time of year.

I have jerseys aplenty (hard to beat Torm IME); not really in the market for more. What I want is something that I can throw on over the top of a LS or SS jersey - because at 7.15am when I head out the door it's too darned chilly for me. Then when I turn around and head home at 5pm, it's *almost* too warm for a LS jersey (arm warmers are on the agenda for the next few months) and it's definitely too warm for any sort of windproof jersey. Hence I want something I can put on in the morning and stuff in a pocket coming home.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    cc78 wrote:
    I have a Sportful Fiandre Light WS and it's fantastic... very tight racing fit though so depending on your build you may need to "size up"

this is a jacket, not a jersey
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    edited May 2015
    Isn't the OP's requirement best met by a lightweight packable shell? i.e something to wear in the morning when it's chilly and stow away in the afternoon when it is warmer?

My suggestion would be the Assos Blitzfeder because of the high breathability, but it's very expensive for every day commuting kit.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    I probably wasn't clear enough; I'm chiefly commuting at the moment, and I want something lightweight and packable to deal with the variance in temperatures I experience. Though all-day rides often see wildly differing temperatures at this time of year.

I have jerseys aplenty (hard to beat Torm IME); not really in the market for more. What I want is something that I can throw on over the top of a LS or SS jersey - because at 7.15am when I head out the door it's too darned chilly for me. Then when I turn around and head home at 5pm, it's *almost* too warm for a LS jersey (arm warmers are on the agenda for the next few months) and it's definitely too warm for any sort of windproof jersey. Hence I want something I can put on in the morning and stuff in a pocket coming home.

Sleeveless base layer, Short Sleeve Jersey, Gilet, Wind Proof Armwarmers are my choice for this time of year... works well for early morning starts and late evening runs.
    Gilet and armwarmers are both packable
  • My approach to the same challenge - chilly ride out, warmer ride home - is a short sleeved Gabba with Nanoflex arm warmers and either 3/4 bibs if it's mild enough, or shorts with leg warmers on cooler days. Provided I choose the right base layer I can stick the warmers in the pockets (or a backpack) and open/close the main zipper to fine tune the temp.
  • Shorts and leg warmers suit me fine, but my top half - and especially the arms - is tricky. Coming home in weather like this SS jersey plus thin base layer is all I want, but in the morning adding arm warmers to the ensemble isn't enough. Adding a thin windproof over the top of arm warmers works just fine, though. Finding the *right* windproof looks like it'll come down to visiting a few shops with a decent selection of jackets to try.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Assos climaShutz fits the bill. Claims to be rainproof but mine is more windproof than rainproof. Packs up into its own pocket and fits into a jersey pocket and is quite stretchy and well vented. Not cheap though so shopping around is essential (as with all Assos gear)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH