23mm tyres

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Need new tyres for the mighty carbon steed. 25mm and above no good as it's got pathetic clearances - current Michelin Pro4 23mm leave about 3-4mm all round.

The Pro4s have been OK but are now cut up badly. Want something that is reasonably lightweight but not stupidly fragile. Bike is strictly Sundays only but is used in all weathers throughout Spring to Autumn.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Get vittoria open corsa 25mm tyres. They come up small and should fit. Bloody good tyres. I run mine with latex tubes filled with latex sealant. I put the sealant in to seal up a slow puncture whuch is almost impossible to find on latex tubes and punctures since have not happened.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If pro 4's are too fragile you could consider either the endurance version or schwalbe durano plus. After that you are into conti 4 seasons territory and beyond. Noted on another thread that Decathlon are selling pro 4's for silly money at the moment - including the endurance version.

Peter
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm not convinced about the Vittoria Open Corsa suggestion - they're a bloody good tyre but more fragile than the Pro4 SC. Perhaps OK with latex sealant that will prevent all but the worst of punctures but I wouldn't like to say.

I've found the Pro4 SC fairly robust, the same or slightly better than GP4000S. As northpole suggests, if these are too fragile then try the Endurance version. Personally I would stick to Pro4 SC and consider changing them more frequently.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    About 3,500 miles on each of my last 3 sets of Pro4 SC's in 4 seasons weather. Pro3's used to cut badly but the 4 has been fine.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Grill wrote:
    About 3,500 miles on each of my last 3 sets of Pro4 SC's in 4 seasons weather. Pro3's used to cut badly but the 4 has been fine.
    Is that 3500 miles for the front or rear wheel or do you rotate them? I typically get twice as long out of the front.
    My first set are still under 3000km and in perfect condition. No cuts, no punctures to date, used in all weathers.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Both, I never bother with swapping them. Front is always in better condition than the rear when I change them out.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • secretsam
    Hmmmmm...Pro4 very tempting as - apart from the cuts - very pleased, good grip, no fairy visits (well, 1), light...hmmmmm

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Schwalbe One's are holding up well for me, certainly better than Ultremo's or Pro 3's, pretty much on par with GP4Seasons.
  • secretsam
    nferrar wrote:
    Schwalbe One's are holding up well for me, certainly better than Ultremo's or Pro 3's, pretty much on par with GP4Seasons.

Are they tubeless? The new wheels I've ordered go tubeless so that's an option (although I've ordered some Pro4s as well :roll: )

• drlodge
    SecretSam wrote:
    nferrar wrote:

Are they tubeless? The new wheels I've ordered go tubeless so that's an option (although I've ordered some Pro4s as well :roll: )

Get the Schwalbe One Tubeless tyres then, they're awsome! Like night and day compared to the Pro4 SC.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Going tubeless too - but I've just gone through a pair of Veloflex Corsa 25s (very similar to the Vittoria Open Corsas).

2000 miles (spring to autumn), 2 punctures - one a pinch flat from running them too low. I don't think they're that fragile.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    drlodge wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    nferrar wrote:

Get the Schwalbe One Tubeless tyres then, they're awsome! Like night and day compared to the Pro4 SC.

Can you explain what you mean by 'night and day'?

I've tried many many tyres and currently on Pro4 SC's and cant fault them. I find them faster rolling the GP4's and considerably better grip than Ultremo's and Rubino Pro Slicks and they have considerably better puncture resistance than all the rest of them put together IMO. I had a spin on a mates bike recently and he has One's fitted (we both have the same wheels) and to be honest I didnt notice anything much different to my own tyres so would be interested in hearing how you can rate them so differently?
  • drlodge
    Did he have Ones or One tubeless? Its the tubeless that makes the difference. My wheels just seem so efficient and give a really nice ride. It might all be in my head though...
    Find me on Strava
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    drlodge wrote:
    Did he have Ones or One tubeless? Its the tubeless that makes the difference. My wheels just seem so efficient and give a really nice ride. It might all be in my head though...

Yeah his were One tubeless on Fulcrum 3 wheels. I have regular zondas which are essentially the same wheel.