Recommend a hanging off the nose saddle

white91
white91 Posts: 431
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I tend to 'hang off the nose' whilst riding, that is I sit right on the nose as it were.

I have a Toupe saddle which is lacking in padding on the nose! I used to ride a Max Flite, but that wasnt amazing.

I have seen some TT type saddles with a split nose, would these work as a general saddle? I usually ride for 2-4 hours at a time.

Comments

• wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Sounds like ISM Adamo might suit you, don't consider what anyone else says, though, try one for yourself. I once found a place that did them as test saddles - it was some tri place but sorry can't remember exactly who. I found it via Google though so it shouldn't be too hard to track them down.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    They definately look worth a try
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    white91 wrote:
    They definitely look worth a try

There are loads of variants now and apparently you do notice the differences so worth trying a few. Also be aware that setting them up correctly is very important, get it slightly wrong and they can feel hideous but move it a tiny amount and it can be much better, just takes a lot of tinkering unless you're lucky enough to get it spot on first time!
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Ive been trying a Specialized Power saddle for a while now, get on quite well with it
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes Adamo but also Selle SMP perhaps?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Dash. Love my TT.9.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Sounds like ISM Adamo might suit you, don't consider what anyone else says, though, try one for yourself. I once found a place that did them as test saddles - it was some tri place but sorry can't remember exactly who. I found it via Google though so it shouldn't be too hard to track them down.

I got a trial adamo mail order from TryBike. Great service from them so I'd definitely reccomend.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I'd highly recommend trying the Adamo ISM saddles. I've tried the Time Trial, Breakaway and Attack.
    Th etime trial as the name suggests is intended for TTs. I didn't find it terribly comfortable in any position except when I was in a very aggressive position. You may be okay with it if you're ALWAYS sitting on the front but I wouldn't recommend for general riding. I really liked the Breakaway for most riding but found I got a tiny bit of rubbing on my thigh when I was sitting back for an easy cruise or when climbing. This was a very minor niggle however, and I seriously considered buying one. I later tried the Attack which had just been released at the time. This was similar to the Breakaway when sitting forward in an aggressive position but also allows me slide back a bit if I want and there's no rubbing if I sit more upright. I bought the Attach and have been very happy with it ever since. I currently use it on my TT bike but I may get another for the road bike when i'm feeling wealthy. It's definitely suitable for both (in my case anyway). Most of the Adamo saddles are rather expensive although there are some newly released versions at a lower price including a cheaper version of the Attack. I think it's called the PN1.1 - catchy huh?

I would caution you however that you will probably have your doubts the first time you try one of these saddles. They support your weight very differently to a conventional saddle which means the adaptation you went through when you started cycling with a conventional saddle doesn't really cover you for the Adamo saddle and you will suffer a little for the first couple of weeks until you adapt. Keep the distance down for the first few rides. You may or may not find it a little painful during or after a ride. I experienced some discomfort the first time I tried them but stuck with it and after about 5 rides and 2 weeks, the Breakaway suddenly transformed from a rather uncomfortable torture device to the comfiest saddle I'd ever used. About a year later when i revisited these saddles and tried the Attack I experienced the exact same thing. So stick with it and you will almost certainly be glad you did.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I'd highly recommend trying the Adamo ISM saddles. I've tried the Time Trial, Breakaway and Attack.
    Th etime trial as the name suggests is intended for TTs. I didn't find it terribly comfortable in any position except when I was in a very aggressive position. You may be okay with it if you're ALWAYS sitting on the front but I wouldn't recommend for general riding. I really liked the Breakaway for most riding but found I got a tiny bit of rubbing on my thigh when I was sitting back for an easy cruise or when climbing. This was a very minor niggle however, and I seriously considered buying one. I later tried the Attack which had just been released at the time. This was similar to the Breakaway when sitting forward in an aggressive position but also allows me slide back a bit if I want and there's no rubbing if I sit more upright. I bought the Attach and have been very happy with it ever since. I currently use it on my TT bike but I may get another for the road bike when i'm feeling wealthy. It's definitely suitable for both (in my case anyway). Most of the Adamo saddles are rather expensive although there are some newly released versions at a lower price including a cheaper version of the Attack. I think it's called the PN1.1 - catchy huh?

I would caution you however that you will probably have your doubts the first time you try one of these saddles. They support your weight very differently to a conventional saddle which means the adaptation you went through when you started cycling with a conventional saddle doesn't really cover you for the Adamo saddle and you will suffer a little for the first couple of weeks until you adapt. Keep the distance down for the first few rides. You may or may not find it a little painful during or after a ride. I experienced some discomfort the first time I tried them but stuck with it and after about 5 rides and 2 weeks, the Breakaway suddenly transformed from a rather uncomfortable torture device to the comfiest saddle I'd ever used. About a year later when i revisited these saddles and tried the Attack I experienced the exact same thing. So stick with it and you will almost certainly be glad you did.

Great post, many thanks - I've been considering one of these for a while and might try one on test.
  • undapressure
    undapressure Posts: 116
    Fizik Antares was designed for people that ride on the nose of the saddle. I ride forwards on mine for over an hour when really pushing and it's fine. There's not loads of padding but the nose is wider than most so spreads your weight well. Having a good set of shorts with a decent pad helps, I've found the cytech pads in Rapha and Assos to be the best for me as they are well padded in that area.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Fizik Antares was designed for people that ride on the nose of the saddle. I ride forwards on mine for over an hour when really pushing and it's fine. There's not loads of padding but the nose is wider than most so spreads your weight well. Having a good set of shorts with a decent pad helps, I've found the cytech pads in Rapha and Assos to be the best for me as they are well padded in that area.
    I found the Antares very uncomfortable but that's mostly because I seem to need a channel or cutout. I've never been able to get a comfortable aggressive position on a standard saddle. I do think however that a wider nose on a standard saddle helps you get away with a suspect design idea rather than correcting the error.