hub loose in Rock shox reba forks

fridgehq
fridgehq Posts: 54
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I have a problem that I cannot seem to solve I have just purchased a set of brand new Rock shox 29er forks and new front wheel with a shimano 100mm HB-M758 15mm through axle my problem is there is play between the hub and fork legs as if the axle is not long enough and no amount of adjustment will help any advice would be much welcome

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    fridgehq wrote:
    Hi All,

I have a problem that I cannot seem to solve I have just purchased a set of brand new Rock shox 29er forks and new front wheel with a shimano 100mm HB-M758 15mm through axle my problem is there is play between the hub and fork legs as if the axle is not long enough and no amount of adjustment will help any advice would be much welcome
    Wouldn't that be the axle too long, rather than not long enough, how much preload are you putting on the through axle?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fridgehq
    Thanks for the reply I have since measured the shimano axle which is 98 mm the measured distance on the fork is as should be 100mm when you tighten up the fork axle it does not take up the slack not sure if the hub is faulty its getting the better of me
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    As Rookie said, have you adjusted the preload on the maxle? It's a small screw within the handle, should be tightened so that the handle makes a mark on your hand when closing.
  • fridgehq
    Hi yes done that still the hubs not tight
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Measure the width of the hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown