Micro Travel Bikes

BloggingFit
BloggingFit Posts: 919
edited May 2015 in MTB general
To be honest I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner in a similar vain to Trek Domane road bike.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/old-is-new-bmc-teamelite-01-introduces-micro-travel-technology.html

Maybe we will see Girvin make a come back...
Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Read the BR review just this morning, they seem to think it's a positive improvement over the full hardtail.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    I can see some real benefit to this, especially in racing applications or for those who are doing multi-day off-road touring. Enough to take the sting out of the trail so you don't lose momentum pedalling and at the same time not suffering the weight penalty and energy rob of conventional FS. Could imagine. Single speed build would be pretty interesting as well.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    At last, an actual innovation rather then just changing the size of a part and calling it the new greatest thing.
    Although it is resurrecting old technology which was forgotten as suspension developed and finding new use for it.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Looks interesting, similar to the pinarello cobble road bike.
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    At last, an actual innovation rather then just changing the size of a part and calling it the new greatest thing.
    Although it is resurrecting old technology which was forgotten as suspension developed and finding new use for it.

So an actual innovation that is also resurrecting old technology? :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think it's finding a use for something invented as part of the original development process of rear suspension.
    I always keep my abandoned designs from development projects, they quite often get used for another project later on.
    I like that they have found a use for a very simple design where they could have designed in dampers and all sorts of rubbish to overcomplicate it and then charge a fortune.