How to remove fsa crank without self extracting bolt

TheHound
TheHound Posts: 284
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Anyone have any idea how I'd do this?

I've already tried a bearing puller, which just gouges chucks off the crank arm, and simply hitting it with a hammer.

The self extracting bolt won't work as the the retaining collar that was in already, stripped the threads from the crank arm itself (fsa omega crankset appears to be made of cheese). The bolt, collar and a few chunks of metal all came out together leaving the arm in place.

Thanks.
Bianchi Intenso Athena
Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
Deda Superleggero seatpost

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    You need a crank extractor, which screws where you normally have the self extracting bolt
    left the forum March 2023
  • TheHound
    I did wonder about that. I've never used one before.

From what I can see though they thread on clockwise. The retaining collar is an anticlockwise thread. Unless you know of one that is anticlockwise?
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    TheHound wrote:
    I did wonder about that. I've never used one before.

From what I can see though they thread on clockwise. The retaining collar is an anticlockwise thread. Unless you know of one that is anticlockwise?

they do, then I have no idea... can you not get hold of one of those extracting bolts somewhere?
    left the forum March 2023
  • TheHound
    I could buy a spare. But the threads on the left crank itself are knackered. I guess that'd be another reason a crank extractor wouldn't work even if there was a reverse one.

Looks like a trip to the lbs.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Had a similar issue after losing the extractor ring on an alpine descent, took mine to the LBS to get it sorted.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    The other way to attack this problem is to go for a light pedal on it with all of the retaining paraphernalia removed (ie. if you're trying to loosen the left crank, take out the bits that hold it in place) and go for a pedal somewhere quiet (and preferably soft to land on - free of 'dog eggs' is also a plus) - shouldn't take too long for it to work loose...
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    With the combined retaining/extracting bolt off the nds crank arm (I think that's what you've described) the nds is only being held on by the tapered 'petal' shaped section of the crank axle. I would try a sharp blow to the axle/ds assembly from the NDS (assuming the crankset is toast anyway)