Are these any good?

sirmol
sirmol Posts: 287
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
http://www.merlincycles.com/dt-x1600-26 ... 72347.html

I realise they are old so i am struggling to find reviews on the rims and hubs. A decent price for what looks like a decent set.

Cheers

Do people think they could use for trail riding as well?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    they are pretty thin rims TBH, I wouldn't buy them

IIRC they also can't swap axle caps either so you are stuck with which ever ones you buy. they are 15mm from 12x142 rear
  • sirmol
    POAH wrote:
    they are pretty thin rims TBH, I wouldn't buy them

IIRC they also can't swap axle caps either so you are stuck with which ever ones you buy. they are 15mm from 12x142 rear

Cheers
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're 240 hubs, you can convert them from the 15/142 thru-axles, but if they don't include adapters (phone and ask) it will push the cost up.

I'd have them. Unless you're planning to use massive tyres having narrow rims doesn't make a bit of difference. The current trend for 30mm+ rims will be short lived I reckon.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    350 hubs it would seem so should be convertable but best to phone and check first as they don't come with the required hardware to swap if you need.

its not about 30mm rim width but you limit the range of tyres you can use. I'd rther not have a tyre roll on the rim or have to pump it up harder and loose grip. The rims are also not tubeless ready so although you can make them tubeless with gorilla tape they are likely not to seal very well and need a compressor to get them inflated.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They're pretty good wheels. I had a set on my Giant Anthem. They work fine with up to 2.35" tyres, even when really cranking in to berms there was no sign of the tyre rolling off the rim. They are narrow but to be honest, they're about the same as what everyone was using for all mountain riding until it was re-named #enduro.
    Just land your jumps straight and they're solid!
  • sirmol
    They're pretty good wheels. I had a set on my Giant Anthem. They work fine with up to 2.35" tyres, even when really cranking in to berms there was no sign of the tyre rolling off the rim. They are narrow but to be honest, they're about the same as what everyone was using for all mountain riding until it was re-named #enduro.
    Just land your jumps straight and they're solid!

Cheers Rock