New (first) Road bike for the Mrs, or keep the Tricross

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I have been riding for years, but it now seems my Mrs has got the bug!

I built her up a bike, using my old Tricross (2010 Sport) alloy F/F, a new Tiagra Chainset, used 105 RD, used 105 FD, Tiagra Cassette, 105 Chain, RS11 wheels, Tiagra shifters... plus original handle bars, seat, post etc.

Now its clearly a respectable spec and it all works, she is happily doing 30miles on it. I am not sure if its now time for her to try a "proper" road bike. My thoughts being it will be quicker/lighter etc - and will help her keep pace with the club she has joined.

My thoughts are to get a budget spec, something like Merlins P7, Wiggles Schwinn Fast Back 3 or maybe a Triban 500, then swap the decent stuff, like wheels, RD/FD, Shifters etc etc.

Happy to do the job, don't currently want to spend £££s.

Does anyone think this is worth while, or should she just plod along with the Tricross? TBH I think she would ride the Tricross with out much concern, but I think with a true road bike she would go that little bit further and faster, and for group riding she could do with eeking out 1-2 mph more avg.

Waste of item, or worth a go? Thoughts?

These were the potential cheap models

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwinn-fastback-3-2015-womens/
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-r ... nformation
http://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-perf ... 73113.html

Comments

• I think you would be better off talking to your wife about whether she wants to upgrade or not and then ask her what she wants. She might want something a lot better than you have in mind for her and may wish to be more involved in the choosing and researching of bikes.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    There would be zero point spending money on those over what she has.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If she is happy doing 30 miles on her existing bike I wouldn't change anything.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Why do you think a road specific bike will be any faster?

I rode a 2009 Tricross as my only bike for 3 years until I bought a Canyon Ultimate CF SL last year. The Ultimate is a full carbon, full Ultegra 6800 bike with 1500g wheels weighing in only about 200g over the minimum UCI weight limit. I can ride as fast on the flat with the Tricross as I can with the Canyon. I prefer the feel of the Canyon, I prefer the gears and brakes, it looks nicer, but the only thing about it that makes me perform better on the flat is the fact that it's a better fit than the Tricross which was a smidge too big for me. On climbs the weight reduction of 3kg or so makes the Canyon feel much better and I'm sure it climbs a bit faster too.
    If she wants a "nicer" bike and you were considering a significant quality upgrade then why not; but if you're looking for a performance upgrade then a similar value road bike won't deliver it and a more expensive road bike will only deliver a little.

What tyres are on the Tricross?
    In what I wrote above I've assumed she's using the Tricross with road tyres rather than a hybrid or cyclocross tyre such as the ones they're sold with? If not then change the tyres and she will get a performance boost.
  • The road tyres are 28c slicks (chosen for stability, robustness). I thinks its slightly too big too. Its a 54, but a big 54 (compared to my 54 Allez), quite tall and long. I presumed the frame would be quite porky, its not a heavy bike but no light weigh either. She is happy with it, not like me wanting the next upgrade or to eek more performance. She did say she would like a road bike, but its like cars, all that matters is the colour LOL.

I am scanning Ebay for F&F too... I just thought if I got a low end bike (decent frame, cheap parts), I could do a swap of the best parts (10sp for 8sp etc) then sell the Tricross on, so relatively little outlay.

To be honest when I road the Tricross I enjoyed it, other than the cantis. Comfy, quick enough but never rapid. Its an ugly thing with road tyres though, it all looks out of proportion. At least come winter I can out some proper guards on.

I will see how she gets on, wanted to treat her for what she has achieved. Really proud of what she has done, as she has a problematic knee that has had lots of surgery. Its better for her than running.
  • Purchased a New 2014 Cannondale Synapse Womens Tiagra for £500.

Similar spec to the TricCross, but a better fit, I guess nippier and lighter.

Against I have cleaned up and sold the TriCross, I don't think we have done too bad. Mrs likes the colour too. :lol:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My wife has the same bike, very good except the appalling brakes which i swapped out for r650's.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    My wife has the same bike, very good except the appalling brakes which i swapped out for r650's.

Are they that bad? It could be an excuse to upgrade mine then she can have my 105s :lol:

I may try brake blocks first.