Torn tyre with pic

mattyfez
mattyfez Posts: 638
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all,

Thought I had a buckled rear wheel today after I started getting a bit wobbly, flipped the bike over and thought the same.

On getting home for a better look after cleaning the wheel up a bit I notices two 'rips' in the outer layer of the tyre, one on each side, not in exactly the same place on each side but each rip is about 5 inch long and overlap 80%.

Any thoughts on why this would be? here's a pic, tyre is a rocket ron, with a good 500miles on it :oops:

IMAG0078_zpsxd7tberv.jpg

I'm just checking now if the wheel is truish without a tyre on, and if so will fit a Ralph I have as a spare

Comments

• mattyfez
    On further inspection there is a hairline crack in the rim, it goes all the way around, you can just about see it in the pic if you look close.

Bugger, new wheel time I guess. :cry:

I wonder if there is any way I could claim on warranty , bike is only 7 months old :cry:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you've hit somthing thats caused that, no way in hell will you get a warranty claim on it.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I had a Rocket Ron fail in the same way last week. Tubeless tyre went down, stuck a tube in and it bulged out of the sidewall. Done more like 1500 miles, so didn't mind too much.

So new tyre and new wheel perhaps.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If air is staying in the tyre keep using it. My last rear tyre lasted six months looking worse than that, it's fine

You can't claim on warranty for crash damage. If you crashed a new car, would you expect the dents to be fixed under warranty?
  • mattyfez
    Sorted, after looking at the issue again after I cleaned all the crap off the wheel the rim 'crack' was actually just the rim joint!

I'm not too upset the Ron failed after decent mileage as I've not just been doing gentle XC with it all the time :lol:

After checking the wheel its still pretty true with no damage so I've stuck a ralph on the back which I've been keeping as a spare. 8)

IMAG0083_zpsww2rjdmu.jpg
  • mattyfez
    If air is staying in the tyre keep using it. My last rear tyre lasted six months looking worse than that, it's fine

You can't claim on warranty for crash damage. If you crashed a new car, would you expect the dents to be fixed under warranty?

I've binned the tyre, as I could feel it wobble on hard surfaces and there was some abrasion marks on the tube, corresponding to the torn area so it was too far gone in my opinion, ive kept the tube though as it's still holding pressure.
  • Jim Lyon
    Jim Lyon Posts: 72
    When I first moved over to Sheffield , trying to cope with all the hills I initially resorted to small tyres. Trouble is Sheffield has some really kr@p roads. Frequently, byy the time I'd used about 2/3rds of the tread up, I was getting this kind of damage, also the steel wire in the bead working loose. I got the impression that the problem was mainly due to the sidewall & bead being hammered against the rim because of the constant pounding it got from the rough road surface.
    At present I'm using bigger tyres ( 2" ), to see if that'll give me some extra life. Certainly it's a little more comfortable, though harder work.
    I've heard stories of rim brakes wearing out rims. In your case perhaps it might have been the rim was weakened by brake wear, & a road bump finished it off?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Err....there was nothing wrong with the rim!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jim Lyon
    Jim Lyon Posts: 72
    The Rookie wrote:

But according to
    mattyfez » Sat May 09, 2015 20:50 pm ( 2nd post from [ including ] top )

"On further inspection there is a hairline crack in the rim, it goes all the way around"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Jim Lyon wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

But according to
    mattyfez » Sat May 09, 2015 20:50 pm ( 2nd post from [ including ] top )

"On further inspection there is a hairline crack in the rim, it goes all the way around"
    Er always an idea to actually read the thread.
    mattyfez wrote:
    Sorted, after looking at the issue again after I cleaned all the crap off the wheel the rim 'crack' was actually just the rim joint!
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    Yeh the rims fine, bike has disk brakes. I do a bit of Bridleway riding so I'm assuming the damage to the tyre was done by the back wheel going through a narrow divot that pinched it or by a scrape against a jagged bit of stone or something.