I want to build a British bike

ZMC888
ZMC888 Posts: 292
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm from the UK, but I'm an expat in China, have been for many years. What I want to do is build up a 160 is travel full suspension AM/Enduro bike with as many British made parts as possible, if not made in UK, then a UK companies' product made in Taiwan. This is because Chinese people are incredibly inquisitive and any bike ridden by a foreigner will be photographed a great deal and shared around social media especially if seen at bike meetings or competitions, so that can help UK business, well and some pride for me of having a nice bike that is exotic because it isn't local to Asia. I've been riding for well over 10 years and have a good idea of the parts I want, but if you have any ideas or I've missed something please chime in, also I'm price conscious so any alternatives.

Some deal-breakers: tapered head tube, 142x12 rear axle, threaded BB, 30.9 or 31.? seat post, 27.5 or 26 inch frame.

Frame: Orange Alpine 160
Cranks: Hope crankset with spider less chain-ring
Brakes: Hope Tech 3 E4
Head set: Hope Tapered Headset
Wheels: Hope Tech Enduro – Pro 2 EVO
Pedals: Hope F20 Flat Pedal
Handlebar: Renthal Fatbar
Stem: Renthal Apex 40mm
Grips: Renthal Lock-on
Seat: Charge spoon or Brooks
Seatpost clamp: Hope

Not sure about forks, shocks and tires, prefer Manitou and Marz, but Rockshox fine too.

Comments

• ZMC888
    POAH wrote:
    so long as you have the cash
    Yeah, might take a few more months to save up. Noticed the 26 inch Orange Alpine is 500 quid less than the 27.5, that will pay for the forks to stay 26.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Forget the Orange. It's rather agricultural and not an amazing ride. It's OK but nothing special.
    I would go for a BTR Fabrications Pinner. Hand built in Somerset from steel. Options for custom geometry, rides extremely well according to those I know who have tried it. Its something a bit more special than the Orange.
  • ZMC888
    Forget the Orange. It's rather agricultural and not an amazing ride. It's OK but nothing special.
    I would go for a BTR Fabrications Pinner. Hand built in Somerset from steel. Options for custom geometry, rides extremely well according to those I know who have tried it. Its something a bit more special than the Orange.
    I'm kind of intrigued with the BTR Pinner. TBH I'm not sure about trying a steel frame full squish, but I could be convinced but I'd need to test ride it. My suspicion would be that you'd always build from alloy for a fully unless you couldn't.

I'm might even switch to building a European bike to give more options.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Steel is the best option for custom building frames. The K9 industries steel full suspension frame is one of the best I have ridden and not heavy.