Help with new bike! Issue with forks

monkeydan
monkeydan Posts: 95
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Took delivery yesterday of an On One 45650B courtesy of Cyclescheme: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650BX ... ntain-bike

Bear in mind this is my first mountain bike and I have no idea about suspension. That said, I'm sure there is something wrong with my forks (or they're not set up properly and I don't know how to do it!)

Basically the forks (140mm Rockshox Sektor Golds) are bottoming out under completely flat riding conditions. If I pull the front brake, I can push the forks all the way down by hand without much effort, and they don't return to their original position. To get them all the way out again, I need to push against the tyre with my foot and pull the forks up. When I took the bike out for a spin, the forks bottomed out almost immediately.

This is with the compression setting on the 'lock' position. If I reduce the compression setting, it's much easier to push the forks down (and was much quicker to bottom out when cycling).

Not sure if there's enough air in there, or if something is amiss? Surely the forks should (a) not bottom out when on a gentle spin around the common and (b) return to the fully 'open' position once there's no weight on the handlebars?

Thanks for any assistance you could provide...
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Comments