2015 Giro d'Italia Stage 1 (TTT) **Spoiler**

2»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2015
    25 replies.
    I guess the Giro just ain't the Tour de Yorkshire.
    Welcome to the wacky world that is bikeradar! 8)
    No-one crashed, no-one lost big time and the team 85% of people chose on PTP won comfortably. What was there to talk about?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bit surprised to see Contador swinging at the back.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Liking Flecha's insight and interviews with the riders on ES. He seems very comfortable doing it.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    48" is a lot of time to make up for Pozzovivo. AG2R need to sort out their TTT, especially considering there's a longer one in the Tour.
  • markyboy2005
    markyboy2005 Posts: 465
    hammerite wrote:
    Liking Flecha's insight and interviews with the riders on ES. He seems very comfortable doing it.
    Yeah but who is the guy with him?

Jerrans?, Freddy Aru? Ooft
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Yep - whats the point in commenting on a TTT (or a TT), wait until the final result is posted then see if there are any surprises....There were none. If you really want to know Saddles, I made a curry, watched last nights HIGNFY and also fell asleep...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Main thing we can take is Basso & Contador were a bit below what you would expect, and JvdB, (blast from the past that acronym) looks good, so we can expect him to crash in the first week.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Also, remember when Garmin used to do well in TTTs? 53" down today.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I went for lunch and a beer with the wife instead. Went tp Keisse's dads bar.

I tried to explain My Man and PTP to Keisse snr and his blank expression told me it was home time.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Gerrans into virtual pink.
    Should please frenchie no end. :lol:

Indeed. My first thought to be honest and the worst thing is that he will hold on to it for a while.

Interesting course that was and a little surprise in the placing of Sky but agree that their team was definitely not the 1st or even 2nd favourite like many were saying. Tinkoff has some serious hitters in that team so I'm not surprised at their placing.

Don't worry, they'll probably share the jerseys around the team a bit. That's the reason I'm not a fan of a TTTfor the first stage.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

Indeed. My first thought to be honest and the worst thing is that he will hold on to it for a while.

Interesting course that was and a little surprise in the placing of Sky but agree that their team was definitely not the 1st or even 2nd favourite like many were saying. Tinkoff has some serious hitters in that team so I'm not surprised at their placing.

Don't worry, Mathews should nab it tomorrow.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Can't believe Virenque is advertising Festina watches, unbelievable!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Would have been good to see Boonen in pink.

Contador swinging at the back in a 17k TTT does surprise me a bit. Maybe he is going into the race a bit more under cooked than people thought?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    556-PIC535070564.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Can people stop going on about Contador appearing somewhat off the back now and again. It is next to irrelevant as he completed the course faster than every single rider out there bar 9. Additionally he is not a flat land monster is he...would be a bit worrying if he was leading the charge on a 20min 55x11 effort and at the same time leaving people for dead in the mountains.

The guy is a complete pro who knows 100% how to arrive in just the form he needs. You can be sure of that. More to the point, if Porte is all of a sudden flying well above everyone from Jan through April then it would be more surprising if he is holding that super form for another three weeks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    poppit wrote:
    He's been doing it for years. Still the housewives favorite in France.
  • inseine
    would be a bit worrying if he was leading the charge on a 20min 55x11 effort and at the same time leaving people for dead in the mountains.

Funny, he used to be able to that.
  • frenchfighter
    inseine wrote:
    would be a bit worrying if he was leading the charge on a 20min 55x11 effort and at the same time leaving people for dead in the mountains.

Really?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:

Really?

2009 Tour? Im not insinuating anything. It's just your constant snipping at other riders is a bit tiresome, so you shouldn't be surprised if people occasionally bite.
    Anyway, enjoy the race . Lets hope it's a good un, whoever wins.
  • rick_chasey
    Can people stop going on about Contador appearing somewhat off the back now and again. It is next to irrelevant as he completed the course faster than every single rider out there bar 9. Additionally he is not a flat land monster is he...would be a bit worrying if he was leading the charge on a 20min 55x11 effort and at the same time leaving people for dead in the mountains.

He's normally one of the stronger TTers in any team TT.

He was swinging off the back today. That's kinda unlike him.

Look at his performance versus VdB who was pushing his teammates on. He's similarly not a flat land monster.

Prologues and early TTs are usually a pretty good indicator of what's to come.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    It would be a surprise if Bertie was in top form. It's what, 12 weeks to the Champs Elysees?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    hammerite wrote:
    Yeah but who is the guy with him?

Jerrans?, Freddy Aru? Ooft

I have to say I wondered all that too! At least he apologised for the Freddy gaffe.

At the beginning of the coverage it said Ashley House. So I thought I'd google it to see whether he'd had any connection to cycling. Seems he was on some BBC talent show years ago and since worked for Setanta and now Eurosport as a presenter, working for them at the football World Cup last year. Quite possibly his first cycling gig, so possibly knows very little - but then again someone like Ned Boulting knew nothing before he started working on the Tour de France.

He'll have to go some to do a better job that our Stefano.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Basso was just hanging on and Alberto tried to haul him back to the train. Basso dropped eventually anyway a few moments later. That's it.
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:

Don't worry, Mathews should nab it tomorrow.

:wink:
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    poppit wrote:

It might be tolerable if the advert was done in a way that was self-deprecating (probably not possible when it comes to EPO) or ironic but it's not. They're bloody serious!

It'd be a bit like Trek releasing an advert in 2015 featuring Lance. No worries though, we only have to watch it for another three weeks and then there will be a period of respite before they roll it out again for Le Tour. :lol:

DD.