is the voodoo hoodoo good on road too?

chrisjames94
chrisjames94 Posts: 23
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
i'm considering buying a voodoo hoodoo and replacing the tyres with road tyres, would it be good for general commuting on road? also would it fare well on medium on road weekend rides? it seems a bit heavy but other than that good?

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    It's not what its designed for.

It will be heavier.

The gears will be lower meaning that it will top out.

The seated position will be more upright, so less aero meaning you'll be less efficient.

On the other hand if you're riding on your own it won't really matter. If you want to keep up with mates who are on roadies then its a bad idea.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    I did exactly that, used an Inbred for my weekend bike. I ended up swapping frames and using the Hoodoo for off road and the Inbred for the commute. The Hoodoo wasn't great on the road even with City Jets.

If you're going to be primarily riding roads, I would get a road bike.
  • tbh I hate road bikes I had one recently and it felt terrible even on road. I need something with front suspension and that can do steep downills/bumpy roads/ light offroad so a hybrid?
    I don't know why but i keep thinking a hardtail would be better even though im on roads 80% of the time
  • can anyone suggest a good hybrid or possible road bike for less than £1000
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    can anyone suggest a good hybrid or possible road bike for less than £1000

Yes. I have just bought a Boardman MX comp - list price about £700 but there are offers from time to tome. It is an excellent bike for road and light XC the front gears are 38 and 48 with a standard cassette in the rear. The only change I made was to put new DMR pedals on as the fitted set is not up to the moderate XC. I like this bike.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Suspension doesn't help on road. The bumps aren't big enough to get it moving.
    Did your road bike have a carbon fork? They help a lot. Cyclo-cross bikes with their bigger tyres can make more comfortable Road bikes.
    Mountain bikes are rubbish on road.
  • BLW
    BLW Posts: 96
    Well I've done 45 milers on mine, pure roads and still enjoyed the bike.
    Suppose it depends what you want, comfort yes, speed no, the choice of off roading and hitting the tracks n trails when you fancy...yes, a cheap well built MTB that will go over what ever you point it at...yes, oh and there not too bad at climbing either!

It's a good MTB for the price.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I find my road bike much more comfortable than my mountain bike on road. Just the ability to change riding position helps a lot and the miles are just effortless.
    Road cycling is still dull as f##k though.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    I have a boardman hybrid comp I use only for commuting and a cube Mtb for everything else can't fault the boardman worth the money in my opinion...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Avoid suspension & get comfort from running wider tyres (32mm upwards?) at an appropriate PSI. If you want dropped handlebars go for a cross bike or one of the growing band of do it all road bikes eg planet x london road or whyte dorset. If you want straight bars these two brands have options but the boardman hybrids are good too. I also like the look of the Knoa range - the big rove?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The voodoo Marasa is a decent Hybrid at a god price, the original tyres are a bit heavy and it can be made a bit faster on road with some 32 or 35mm tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    MTB's are rubbish on road - wrong geometry, tons of unnecessary weight and the wrong gearing (as has been said already)

I would get a road bike (or a CX bike) and stick some bigger tyres on it (28-35mm) - and then give it some time. Road bikes ride different to MTBs and at first it will feel "wrong" - but you will adjust..

And suspension is a waste of energy and adds weight on the road as well - try the difference going up a tarmacked hill with and without your suspension locked out..

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends how you ride on road I guess, when I ride in India I usually use an MTB as do most the locals, of course the dreadful state of the roads is a factor (often MTBs are faster as on a road bike you are taking such a pounding) also most the ride are 'social' and at a leisurely pace so it's not an issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If you are never going to ride it off road, then as Rookie says you would be better of with the rigid forked bike. The Hoodoo is a heavy bike and sluggish on the road, even if you change the tyres to 1.5's you will be lugging excess weight around with the suspension fork.