Black shorts

DavidfromWarboys
DavidfromWarboys Posts: 80
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Left work today and raced back to car to pick up my 11 year old daughter to take her to her gym class. As I'm getting off the bike I noticed a small hole in the front of my shorts but fortunately had some tights in the car or might have been arrested!!!

The shorts are old (5 yrs?) shutt vr ones that I really really liked. Have another pair and then a couple from other makers (one pair are Specialized, I think) that I'm not so keen on.

So I need some new shorts. I completely agree with The Rules on this one that shorts must be black, I don't want other colours, unless it's just an edge. To make things harder I don't want to advertise which is a shame as I've become quite the Raphalite recently but all their shorts break my rules!

So what are the best pair of black shorts I can get, but I draw the line at paying Assos prices!!

Thanks,

dM

Comments

• Assos from the Assos Factory on-line outlet? I wouldn't bother with anything shorts wise outside Assos, Rapha and Castelli. I've just chucked another pair of Enduras in the bucket after 18 months use.
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Etxeondo Orhi are just as good but cheaper than some of those - and they do plain black. They are often on offer but not at the moment.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Impsport, still using them after 10 years
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Rapha classic shorts are available black on black and the logo on each leg doesn't stand out.

It has to really catch the light to stand out like in this photo, a mate has them and I didn't notice them for a good while.

rapha-classic-bib-shorts.jpg
  • Thanks guys, that's great. The etxeondo's and Impsport ones do look good. The Assos come into a pallatable price range with outlet that I was n't aware of. I have an 851 air block jacket and I'm not that taken with it, much prefer my Alpha. But the the Assos shorts get the best reviews on Wiggle. Love Rapha and those black on black shorts do look good. Choices, choices! Thanks again.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I have white, blue and red shorts....and proud! I go for cheaper brands (compared to ASSOS) to be honest - nalini, santini, funkier and lusso are good if you go for the more expensive versions with decent pads. Even got some DHB ones which were stupidly cheap & perfectly fine for everyday use (might not wear them on an all-dayer).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • gdf
    gdf Posts: 26
    The Howies bibshorts sound exactly what you're after. Only the tiniest bit of branding, plain black otherwise. Less than £60 too (or get even more value at the moment by buying a bundle with their just as good jerseys). I rode 105miles in them yesterday and they kept me very comfy. Also no marks/rips on them after coming off on a bend. I have multiple pairs now.
    The only other shorts I have are mid level DHB ones and some £90 Castelli ones and I never touch either of them anymore.

http://www.howies.co.uk/mens/clothing/cycle.html
  • the_jackalcp
    the_jackalcp Posts: 276
    Giordana shorts are quality gear in my view. Been using them for years and even their top of the range ones are under £100 at Ribble. Plenty of choice when it comes to all black or mostly black shorts.

Its an under appreciated brand
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc