Cube Stereo 140 HPA 27.5 2015 Opinions and/or alternatives?

ElliotR
ElliotR Posts: 28
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I was nearly sold on a Cube Stereo 140 HPA 27.5 2015 in Leisure Lakes today but thought I'd check out some reviews and potential alternatives before pulling the trigger.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/1796 ... -bike-2015

So far I've only found one review but it was for a slightly different model and I cant find anything on-line from people who have got one of these...

Intended riding will be XC and Trails - max budget is £1800.

Any advice or opinions would be great as this will be my first full sus and first new bike in over 6 years :D

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    This is the closest test I've seen on that bike, http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/moun ... 4672.2.htm
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    check out some of the german offerings
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    POAH wrote:

Like Cube?
  • poah
    POAH wrote:

Like Cube?

like from german shops, not UK. I'll make it clearer for you next time spunkymonkey
  • Caveman_Chris
    Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
    For me for that moneyed that site, there's a '14 spesh camber evo if you don't mind wagon wheels. Tried to post a link but the iPad is having some kind of break down.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • poah
    personally if I had 1800 to spend I wouldn't get that bike as the fork and shock are pretty poor. I tend to ride the same as you but also more agressive terrain with my bike which is 140R/150F but has old geometry so isn't as great as say the transition scout that RMSC has at decending even though it has less travel. I'd rather have a bike with better fork/shock and slightly heavier components
  • rockmonkeysc
    I would always put the frame before suspension components. You can get forks and shocks tuned relatively cheaply but there's nothing you can do about a poor linkage set up or poor geometry.
    If I had £1800 ish to spend I would be buying a Giant Trance. Really brilliant frame and rear suspension which feels pretty good despite the basic rear shock. The fork isn't brilliant but at this price there has to be a compromise somewhere. It's perfectly adequate for most people though.
    http://www.bicyclechain.co.uk/productde ... wwodejgAVA
  • ElliotR
    Thanks for the advice guys!

The Giant Trance does look impressive and not one I'd come across before, so think I need to go and throw a leg over one. It's £100 over my max budget but I've found a shop called Pedalon that offers something called Podium points which equates to potentially over £300 worth of accessories of my choice. This is unlike Leisure Lakes offering which gives less than £100 credit and this is based on you paying £30 to be a VIP member first.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    ElliotR wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys!

The Giant Trance does look impressive and not one I'd come across before, so think I need to go and throw a leg over one. It's £100 over my max budget but I've found a shop called Pedalon that offers something called Podium points which equates to potentially over £300 worth of accessories of my choice. This is unlike Leisure Lakes offering which gives less than £100 credit and this is based on you paying £30 to be a VIP member first.

I can vouch for the Trance, great bike, mine is the 2014 model (link is in my sig) plus I used pedalon, got a lot of 'free' stuff and great service to boot.
  • ElliotR
    Not knowing too much about the huge range of bike makers, how are Cube generally regarded?

They are quite a big brand in my area but there's really not much about the various different models, particularly the one I'm considering, on these forums :?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Cube are OK. Lots of nice components for the money. Personally I haven't liked any of their full suspension bikes I have ridden with the exception of the Two15 downhill bike which was excellent but no one bought it so they discontinued it. The Fritz I thought was pretty bad in most ways (heavy, dodgy handling wallowy rear suspension) The old Stereo was OK.