Help new saddle creaks - oil or return?

wishitwasallflat
wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Just got a Selle SMP Drakon saddle from ChainReaction three days ago,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sell ... lsrc=aw.ds

On first 40 mile run yesterday it made a few little creaky noises - today on another 40 miler and it creaked pretty much every pedal stroke. It's definitely this saddle and its NOT any of the other usual culprits (loose clamp, seat post etc etc - I cleaned everything carefully and its done up super tight and used process of elimination). So I'm not looking for advice on what the cause is - I know its where the rails attach to the saddle body. On SMPs the rear rail is a continuous loop and you can undo a couple of plastic clamp things which attaches it to the saddle body - pics here

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bik ... bout-smps/

I am guessing once those are undone you can pull the other ends of the rail from the saddle body. As I understand it I could return this saddle:

as not fit for purpose under Sale of Goods Act and ask for refund

return it as a warranty issue and ask for a replacement

I could, however, try undoing those clamps, removing the rails and greasing them where they run under the clamp and where they enter the saddle. Should I contact ChainReaction before I did that though to make sure it wouldn't void any warranty and/or prevent return under Sale of Goods Act as unfit for purpose.

What would anyone advise?

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Try silicone lubricant spray before undoing any bolts.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    within 7 days I would be very tempted to contact chainreaction and get a replacement or refund. I would be very frustrating to take the thing apart and find a real problem - then have to wait a reasonable time (whats that a few weeks?) for them to umm and aar about repair replacement etc and start talking about wear and tear reduction to refund
  • wishitwasallflat
    imatfaal wrote:
    within 7 days I would be very tempted to contact chainreaction and get a replacement or refund. I would be very frustrating to take the thing apart and find a real problem - then have to wait a reasonable time (whats that a few weeks?) for them to umm and aar about repair replacement etc and start talking about wear and tear reduction to refund

This is good advice - on reflection it feels crazy to start trying to fix/make work a £175 brand new saddle. Just sent it back for replacement by collectplus so hopefully new (silent!) one early next week. Thanks.
    trailflow wrote:
    Try silicone lubricant spray before undoing any bolts.

Good suggestion and thanks - but as above I think its probably wisest just to send it back cause its only a few days old and I've done two rides - it creaked on the first a little and got much worse on the second. I had a Drakon on test for a few weeks last year and did over 400 miles on it with no issues so I know these are good saddles I must have just been unlucky. Hopefully CRC will be as good CS as they usually are
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Let us know how you get on
  • wishitwasallflat
    Will do
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    IME oiling where a rail goes in to get rid of squeaking there on a new saddle can actually can make it worse. I did it once and it took ages to get back to original squeak, then eventually the saddle went silent of its own accord. I'd not try the oil trick again, if anything I'd try to stick it solid.
  • wishitwasallflat
    mfin wrote:
    IME oiling where a rail goes in to get rid of squeaking there on a new saddle can actually can make it worse. I did it once and it took ages to get back to original squeak, then eventually the saddle went silent of its own accord. I'd not try the oil trick again, if anything I'd try to stick it solid.

I've stuck down a few previous saddles before too - SQ Lab 611 s and Spesh Avatars - and found it worked for a while but eventually the shells cracked. I never had much joy with lube.

A big part of why I bought the Drakon is these SMP saddles look way better made than others and I was hoping paying over double the price for a saddle would prove worthwhile! A bit gutted about this but keeping fingers crossed it was just an unlucky one off. I would have tried sticking it if it had either been an old saddle or cheap. It was a toss up between SMP and another SQ Lab - if I'd got an SQ I would have stuck it cause I'm resigned to them needing it. If the replacement SMP creaks not sure what I'll do!
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Probably not much help but I tried several SMPs (5 I think) from Dillglove before finally buying a Dynamic and none of them creaked. I think it's probably safe to say if the replacement creaks it isn't the saddle that's your problem! They are great saddles but I wouldn't buy one for it's looks, just work well with my rear end, or at least the Dynamic does. It's amazing how different all of them feel, the Drakon didn't work at all for me.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • wishitwasallflat
    handful wrote:
    Probably not much help but I tried several SMPs (5 I think) from Dillglove before finally buying a Dynamic and none of them creaked. I think it's probably safe to say if the replacement creaks it isn't the saddle that's your problem! They are great saddles but I wouldn't buy one for it's looks, just work well with my rear end, or at least the Dynamic does. It's amazing how different all of them feel, the Drakon didn't work at all for me.

Reassuring to hear you had several and none creaked. I am sure it's that saddle as I tried all the usual tests of elimination while riding and then I tried fitting and refitting that saddle and two others without moving seatpost and it always came up with that saddle as the cause.

I tried an Avant first which was sent to me by bike whisperer as test and then they suggested a Drakon last year. Both were silent and I quite liked the Drakon. Wish I had known about Dillglove though as I have heard from others that the different models are very different. AFAIK the Drakon is just the dynamic with a little more padding but less than the lite 109 - I've gone for replacement option with CRC so unless I returned that unopened for refund I reckon I'm settled. Might email Dillglove though to see arrangements for sending tests saddles through the post.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920

Reassuring to hear you had several and none creaked. I am sure it's that saddle as I tried all the usual tests of elimination while riding and then I tried fitting and refitting that saddle and two others without moving seatpost and it always came up with that saddle as the cause.

I tried an Avant first which was sent to me by bike whisperer as test and then they suggested a Drakon last year. Both were silent and I quite liked the Drakon. Wish I had known about Dillglove though as I have heard from others that the different models are very different. AFAIK the Drakon is just the dynamic with a little more padding but less than the lite 109 - I've gone for replacement option with CRC so unless I returned that unopened for refund I reckon I'm settled. Might email Dillglove though to see arrangements for sending tests saddles through the post.

They are very helpful, you just pay a deposit, £90 iirc and then you pay the postage for each sale you try. The Drakon is supposed to be like you say a more padded Dynamic but for me it just wasn't as comfy. The Forma is completely unpadded and was horrible! Check the process on bike-discount.de, they are usually cheapest they and free postage when you spend that much. Also good to stock up on other things as well at the same time like GP4000s!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • We'll I got a replacement but have been laid up ill for three weeks so first ride on it today ... Unfortunately it's still creaking (perhaps even worse!) I've just tried to tighten up the little screws holding the plate above the rails at rear (only one on each side took a wee extra turn) and put a drop of oil on the entry points to shell at fron and left it propped up so it drains down into the mounting holes on the shell. Fingers crossed ...

It must be saddle though as the noise stops immediately if out of the saddle ... couldn't be anything else could it?
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474

It must be saddle though as the noise stops immediately if out of the saddle ... couldn't be anything else could it?

I have a squeak issue with my Specialized Romin, it only occurs on tougher efforts uphill while seated. As soon as I get out of the saddle it stops. It's almost as if my saddle is telling me to stand up and stop being so defensive.
    Maybe we should view our saddles as our own personal trainers and see the "squeak" as a bonus specification?

• It must be saddle though as the noise stops immediately if out of the saddle ... couldn't be anything else could it?

I have a squeak issue with my Specialized Romin, it only occurs on tougher efforts uphill while seated. As soon as I get out of the saddle it stops. It's almost as if my saddle is telling me to stand up and stop being so defensive.
    Maybe we should view our saddles as our own personal trainers and see the "squeak" as a bonus specification?

I used spesh saddles for a few years and they all squeaked, it drives me crazy so I gave up on them. Have seen a few post though that a drop of oil where rail enters shell sorts it out but must say it didn't work for me with spesh saddles.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    Just a thought... are you sure it isn't related to your shoes/cleats. Your position changes considerably when out of the saddle. Worth looking at?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • pazzar
    pazzar Posts: 25
    I had exaclty the same problem recently and thought it was the saddle due to it being silent when riding standing up,so bought a new saddle and it still made the same creaking noises.

It turned out to be the seat stem,took it out and gave it a good clean and re-applied some grease and no more creaking.
  • Dabber wrote:
    Just a thought... are you sure it isn't related to your shoes/cleats. Your position changes considerably when out of the saddle. Worth looking at?

Cheers I will check that if its not solved - I use speedplays and they are overdue some tlc!
  • pazzar wrote:
    I had exaclty the same problem recently and thought it was the saddle due to it being silent when riding standing up,so bought a new saddle and it still made the same creaking noises.

It turned out to be the seat stem,took it out and gave it a good clean and re-applied some grease and no more creaking.

Thanks I did just clean and regrease when I had it out to oil the rail insertion points - might get out to check it later but it's a fyking hurricane here today!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    FYI I've have 3 different Selle SMP models (different from yours) and no creaking - have had it with other saddles though. Perhaps you were just unlucky & got a duff one? If you are sure its the saddle, then I too would return it.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.