Wheelset that doesn't roll well

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited May 2015 in The bottom bracket
I'm looking for a wheelset that does not roll well. They must be round though. I am having trouble finding any.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I reckon you need to go handbuilt for that spec. You'd never get factory built to suit.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Have you chequed your breaks aren't stuck on like Chris Froomes?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    edited May 2015
    Have you thought about starting a conversation with a builder ? A true artisan mason can fashion bricks into almost anything. Top tip is choose the bricks yourself, some builders will point you towards the bricks they have in stock or can source cheapest.
    Also, I'd avoid anyone local or word of mouth recommendations. My decorative garden wall looks like every garden wall in our village, and he promised me something unique. :(
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    mfin wrote:
    I'm looking for a wheelset that does not roll well. They must be round though. I am having trouble finding any.

That's easy, just flush out any lubricant from the bearings and job's a good'n.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    mfin wrote:

That's easy, just flush out any lubricant from the bearings and job's a good'n.

Ironically, that would probably make it roll even better - for a limited time...
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    What about this?
    http://www.johnlund.com/Images/CSM002829.jpg
    Spoke tool and pump included.
  • Origami02
    hegyestomi wrote:
    What about this?
    http://www.johnlund.com/Images/CSM002829.jpg
    Spoke tool and pump included.

Lot's of individuality factor there. Factory or done in-house? Certainly looks Prespoke. :D
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    have you tried jet washing your current set?

alternatively, just fit a number of stem spacers (about 3 feet) to ensure you are as upright as possible.
    Insert bike here:
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Superstars????
  • mfin
    I didn't realise they let all the students of Andy Parson's School of Comedy out at lunchtime.
  • Origami02
    styxd wrote:
    Superstars????

Yeah dude ! Like Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood ! They probably don't roll quite like they used to. Still rocking though!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    As we all know, too much tyre pressure actually increases rolling resistance, so just pump the tyres up really really hard. Actually so hard until the tyres burst :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I blame Wiggle.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why ?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I think if you get any set of wheels with cone bearings and overtighten the cones a little you should achieve your objective. It's quite easy to do. You just need a spanner and it will give you a good level of control over the degree of not rolling well that you end up with.
    Alternatively, you want really good "doesn't roll well", mix sand and iron filings with a binding agent (grease will do but I'm sure there's something better) to form a gritty paste and apply this to the bearings. I haven't tried this myself but I suspect it'll work quite well.

If you only want cartridge bearings you may need to apply some point loads to the bearing housing to create a little distortion. A dot punch and hammer will probably do the trick. You may also be able to inject a small amount of cyanoacrylate (superglue) into the bearing. Keep the bearing in motion when you do this and only use a small amount. Otherwise you may seize it entirely and this will give you "doesn't roll" instead of "doesn't roll well".

One last thought. It might be interesting to experiment with a thixotropic material. The most easily available is probably cornflower or custard powder mixed with a little water. This will be a smooth but not very lubricating liquid under low stress but once any load is applied it should become solid and nicely jam things up. Not sure how best to use this but I'm sure there's a way. Like I said - interesting to experiment with.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    What do you mean by not rolling well?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    How much frame clearance do you have?
    37dae70955b234c557fd096d97754653.jpg
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    It's obvious you want to go slower but but you could spend a fortune on equipment and only see a marginal reduction in performance. The biggest losses will come from riding less, eating more and not caring who overtakes you. If you have time you could wait until, like me, you're in your early 50s and your speed miraculously drops without having to spend any money on equipment.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    This may not actually be a wheel problem. You are probably experiencing too little frame rub. If your wheels are running freely this can be solved with a new frame, preferably overly asymmetrical or classically misaligned.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Tubeless. You need tubeless compatible. Then don't pump them up, just get the tyre on the rim. Or, if it's too hard, most of the way on.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Solid tyres is the answer....
    http://thesolidtyre.com/

And the best thing is: you can use your current wheels without destroying them.
  • mfin
    Whoooooooooooossssshhhh
  • Origami02
    Apparently with cup and cone wheels, putting the ball bearings in up-side-down will achieve the desired effect. Don't try this if you're prone to nose bleeds though.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ask Ugo, I'm sure that he will be able to help in his own helpful way. Actually quite surprised that he hasn't pounced n this thread already as it has the word wheel in the title like a thousand starving gazelles sensing a thread with the word food in it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    teleportation?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Origami02
    sungod wrote:
    teleportation?

50/50, my money would be on phone a friend. :idea: Shall we ask the audience ?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    mfin wrote:
    Whoooooooooooossssshhhh

:roll: He doesn't want 'Wooooooooooooooooossssshhhh'.

How about greasing them up with valve grinding paste.

Whilst I am at it:
    Whodafookareyewlot?
    Why don't you come here more often?
    Did you bring Eccles cakes?
    Is there life in Stoke?
    Have you seen Claire Balding's noorks?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    To answer Piña's questions:
    They are from Road General, thread got moved due to misunderstood humour content.
    Because they don't even know they are here.
    No, but there are loads in Road General.
    No.
    Cleat has, that's why they had to kill him.
  • mfin
    Veronese68 wrote:
    thread got moved due to misunderstood humour content.

Correct, you start a thread to point out the total crap people say and then people miss the point and fill it with crap drivel jokes. I despair sometimes.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    mfin wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    thread got moved due to misunderstood humour content.

Correct, you start a thread to point out the total crap people say and then people miss the point and fill it with crap drivel jokes. I despair sometimes.
    Me thinks there is some irony present