MTB/Road GPS computer

countryteen
countryteen Posts: 15
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
I would like to get a GPS computer, for MTB and road use (both on a mountain bike). I would kind of liking mapping ability so I can load a route and follow it. Turn by turn nav would be nice too for non cycling use. I have looked at Garmin's and Magellan's they all look nice to me but $$$. Budget is less than $300. What advantages do they have? I am considering a used Edge 705 what can or can't they do compared to others? What would you suggest? What do you use likes/dislikes?
Thanks.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Edge 705 is great, just old now. No touch screen, resolution isn't as good, it's quite a bulky unit.

I changed mine last year for an Edge 1000, which I'm very pleased with, but out of your budget.

If you can get a 705 in budget (most folk on here are in the UK, so no idea what the comparative costs are) then go nuts. Alternatively an 800 may be available discounted as they were replaced by the 810 several years ago now.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    I would go something like Garmin eTrex series...cheap 2nd hand on evilbay (perfect for MTB, runs on AA batteries, waterproof / idiotproof)...unless you want something with heart rate etc....
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I use a Garmin etrex 20 - a little bulkier than cycling-specific units, but it works and is waterproof to 1m (so fine in rain) and is quite a lot cheaper than any cycling-specific GPs for the same features..

It isn't touch screen, but it is easy enough to use as you ride along if you need to and cycling specific brackets are available to attach it to your handlebars - it's the most secure mount I have seen on any attachment to any bike I have ever used.. I would trust it if I left the GPS on the bike when it goes on the back of the car.. (I do take it off though - not sure the GPS would appreciate it even if it didn't fly off ;) )

It supports mapping (search for talkytoaster maps for awesome, free, high-detail maps for any Garmin GPS unit) and the routing function is easy to use and it sync to Garmin Basecamp/Strava (via PC) without a hitch.. :)

It is currently £125 on amazon (new) and so would be even cheaper used.. :)

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • countryteen
    countryteen Posts: 15
    I would like something with HRM. The 705 I am looking at is cheaper than an etrex 20 and has a HRM and speed & cadence sensor. Bulk and no touch screen don't worry me, the 800 are cheaper than before but not cheap enough.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    bob6397 wrote:
    I use a Garmin etrex 20 - a little bulkier than cycling-specific units, but it works and is waterproof to 1m (so fine in rain) and is quite a lot cheaper than any cycling-specific GPs for the same features..

It isn't touch screen, but it is easy enough to use as you ride along if you need to and cycling specific brackets are available to attach it to your handlebars - it's the most secure mount I have seen on any attachment to any bike I have ever used.. I would trust it if I left the GPS on the bike when it goes on the back of the car.. (I do take it off though - not sure the GPS would appreciate it even if it didn't fly off ;) )

It supports mapping (search for talkytoaster maps for awesome, free, high-detail maps for any Garmin GPS unit) and the routing function is easy to use and it sync to Garmin Basecamp/Strava (via PC) without a hitch.. :)

It is currently £125 on amazon (new) and so would be even cheaper used.. :)

bob6397

^^this.

I got me Etrex30 for £30quid !
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    As above
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I would like something with HRM. The 705 I am looking at is cheaper than an etrex 20 and has a HRM and speed & cadence sensor. Bulk and no touch screen don't worry me, the 800 are cheaper than before but not cheap enough.

Get the 705 then, decent bit of kit.