YT Capra Comp 1

mike23864
mike23864 Posts: 54
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Morning.
I'm looking at the YT Capra but am concerned about sizing. I've currently got a Marin Attack Trail in a medium that fits perfectly but the Reverb seat post is slammed as far in as it will go. Another centimetre and it would be too high.
For those of you that have a Capra in either a small or a medium I believe they are a 'short' bike, so would I be better looking at the small (and risk being cramped) or asking for a medium with a shorter Reverb

Alternatively, if anyone in the Manchester area (I'm in Trafford) would let me try theirs for size that would be great.

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Not a lot of info there, how tall are you etc.

The Capra doesn't look a short bike to me, sizing and geometry are quite normal for this type of bike.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • mike23864
    mike23864 Posts: 54
    robertpb wrote:
    Not a lot of info there, how tall are you etc.

The Capra doesn't look a short bike to me, sizing and geometry are quite normal for this type of bike.

That was a bit dumb of me :D I'm 5ft 7" with a 29" inside leg.

Cheers
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    That would put you in the small size according to YT.

I always buy small as I'm 5' 5" but 30.5" inside leg, so I ride with the saddle well up but need a shorter cockpit, so it's hard to make generalisations as we all differ.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Compare the Capra geometry to that of your Marin, particularly the effective top tube length including stem and any seat post layback. You'll want them to be close if your Marin is a good fit. If the Capra has a shorter seat tube then that's a bonus.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    With YT's delivery times you might grow another couple inches by the time it arrives.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    So much seems to be made about reach on bikes these days it's almost like either everyone has either been riding horribly small and uncomfortable bikes for years or the human race has grown in the upper body by a few inches over a few years. My bike/s are probably considered tiny by most current standards but I'm not complaining, maybe I'm missing out on something...
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Longer reach puts your CofG lower and more central to improve handling. As bikes have evolved to be longer, slacker and lower they can be ridden much harder and require a different riding style which works better with a different riding position.
    Shorter bikes used to work well but bikes have moved on a lot in the last five years.