Ritte Snob Disc

anjasola
anjasola Posts: 145
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
On my shortlist, does anyone on here own one?

1y6zra.jpg

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    There are few brands I dislike as much as Ritte. Sublime, Dassi and Ventum are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.

Get it if you want, but you can do better for the money. You could get three Road Logics for the price or one Rourke.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • anjasola
    Thanks Grill, perhaps it should be crossed off.
    I want disc titanium or stainless steel frame any ideas?
    PS already have a Ritchey Swiss Cross disc.
  • Grill
    I'm not a fan of Ti. More difficult to work on than carbon or steel, and I just don't see the price justification.

What exactly are you looking to do with the bike that you can't achieve on the Ritchey?
  • anjasola
    I had the Ritchey built with SRAM red, this one I want Di2.
  • Grill
    Any reason why you can't just install Di2 on the Ritchey? Super easy...

Really your best bet is to get something custom, which is why I suggested Rourke. WyndyMilla always have interesting projects in the pipeline and I know they're doing a few disc frames they haven't made available to the public so it would be worth sending them an email too.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
      Grill wrote:
      There are few brands I dislike as much as Ritte. Sublime, Dassi and Ventum are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.

Get it if you want, but you can do better for the money. You could get three Road Logics for the price or one Rourke.

NeilPryde?

Now seriously, why the dislike? Is it because they are generic chinese imports with a nice coat of paint?
      x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
      Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
      Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
      Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
    • flasher
      flasher Posts: 1,734
      anjasola wrote:

1y6zra.jpg

Don't own one, but they look like lovely bikes, sadly Grill seems to have it in for Ritte, maybe envious of the smart paint schemes!

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 3&t=132181
    • anjasola
      Grill wrote:

Really your best bet is to get something custom, which is why I suggested Rourke. WyndyMilla always have interesting projects in the pipeline and I know they're doing a few disc frames they haven't made available to the public so it would be worth sending them an email too.

I thought about another Ritchey, if only I could get the disc frame in red !
      I could always email this guy tom@donhoubicycles.com :wink:
    • Matthewfalle
      Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
      anjasola wrote:
      On my shortlist, does anyone on here own one?

1y6zra.jpg

Don't own one but its utterly stunning. WPML.

I think Grill is just being bitter - the Man Utd of cyclists?

Buy it and hang it on a wall inbetween crushing Grill - its gorgeous.
      Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
      This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
      smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    • Grill
      gabriel959 wrote:
        Grill wrote:

NeilPryde?

Now seriously, why the dislike? Is it because they are generic chinese imports with a nice coat of paint?

I really dislike the whole 'bro brand' approach. If you'd grown up in the States like me you'd probably understand it a bit better, but they pretty much stand for everything that annoys me about the US. Fact is there is nothing special about Ritte, and their prices don't seem in any way justified. The ones I've seen up close are quite 'meh' and the carbon quality is no better than what I've seen out of Cube.

Of course I'm sure Spencer will be one this thread shortly to disagree and powder the balls of any prospective buyers...

If you want to buy a bike to spite me, by all means be my guest. While you're at it you can join all the hate groups my ex-girlfriends have started... :P
      • letap73
        letap73 Posts: 1,608
        Grill wrote:
        gabriel959 wrote:
          Grill wrote:

NeilPryde?

I really dislike the whole 'bro brand' approach. If you'd grown up in the States like me you'd probably understand it a bit better, but they pretty much stand for everything that annoys me about the US. Fact is there is nothing special about Ritte, and their prices don't seem in any way justified. The ones I've seen up close are quite 'meh' and the carbon quality is no better than what I've seen out of Cube.

Of course I'm sure Spencer will be one this thread shortly to disagree and powder the balls of any prospective buyers...

If you want to buy a bike to spite me, by all means be my guest. While you're at it you can join all the hate groups my ex-girlfriends have started... :P

I almost agree with you with regards their carbon bikes, however, the cyclist magazine review implies the Ritte steel frame is good value.
          How about a Shand Stoater?
          http://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/stoater/
        • Grill
          They have a good builder for their steel frames, but for me it doesn't do enough to sway me based on their image. Rourke is cheaper and I've seen their operation in action- first class. Of course the wait is 6-9 months which doesn't work to everyone's schedule. Of course by the time I get my English I'll have been waiting for over three years, so 6-9 months is almost a gift in my book.
        • mamil314
          mamil314 Posts: 1,103
          Certain auction website has Lynskey Coopers, M320 and Sportives popping up sometimes if that is your thing.
          Always some Van Nicholas models knocking about, too, and even sometimes Moots or Independent Fab
        • Grill
          Forgot about Moots, good shout.
        • hegyestomi
          hegyestomi Posts: 504
          My mate has a bikeshop in London, he stocks and rides Ritte for at least 5 years. He loves it and thinks that they are excellent and I have to admit I like the look of them as well. They made a prototype a few years back which looked absolutely stunning, carbon tubes connected with stainless steel lugs
          Just found it:
          http://rittecycles.com/custom/muur/
          Also I saw looked into Wittson a few weeks back, maybe worth getting in touch with them.
          http://wittson.com/
        • Grill
          hegyestomi wrote:
          My mate has a bikeshop in London, he stocks and rides Ritte for at least 5 years. He loves it and thinks that they are excellent and I have to admit I like the look of them as well. They made a prototype a few years back which looked absolutely stunning, carbon tubes connected with stainless steel lugs
          Just found it:
          Also I saw looked into Wittson a few weeks back, maybe worth getting in touch with them.

Either you or your mate is a liar. The very first Ritte Bosberg (Pedal Force CG1) didn't go on sale in the US until January 2011 and they didn't come to the UK market until years later (Silverfish picked them up last year).
        • term1te
          term1te Posts: 1,462
          How about an Enigma Evoke Disc? They do some lovely paint jobs if you don't want the titanium look.
        • bendertherobot
          bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
          anjasola wrote:
          Grill wrote:

I thought about another Ritchey, if only I could get the disc frame in red !
          I could always email this guy tom@donhoubicycles.com :wink:

Get the frame from A Cycles and have it sprayed mun.
          My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
          https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
          Facebook? No. Just say no.
        • hegyestomi
          hegyestomi Posts: 504
          Grill wrote:
          hegyestomi wrote:
          Just found it:

Either you or your mate is a liar. The very first Ritte Bosberg (Pedal Force CG1) didn't go on sale in the US until January 2011 and they didn't come to the UK market until years later (Silverfish picked them up last year).
          Thanks Grill, very kind words! :roll:
          He has an independent bike shop and selling them for years: I use him for building and servicing my bikes.
          You are actually right, it's only been 4 years he is riding and selling Ritte (just checked FB) and I'm not sure which model he is using: give him a call and ask him if interested (www.cyclelab.co.uk).
          Please don't call me a liar because I got my facts wrong: I would never call you a liar or missinformed because you didn't know that Ritte was indeed available before 2014 in the UK.
        • Grill
          You can take offence if you like but that won't accomplish much as there was no malice in my statement, just a statement of fact.

As I said, that means he was riding and extolling the virtues of an open-mould frameset (I know Spencer will argue the semantics of this until his dying day, but it is what it is). That's great, the Planet X and Ribble guys do the same thing. He's just another guy who drank from the Kool-Aid and would like to have his choice validated by others. Nothing wrong with that, it's human nature.

Like I keep saying, if you want a Ritte, buy one. It isn't going to make me less vocal when someone solicits and opinion of the brand.
        • styxd
          styxd Posts: 3,234
          I think you need one of these

B-PHbY8IAAA-OwH.jpg
        • anjasola
          styxd wrote:
          I think you need one of these

B-PHbY8IAAA-OwH.jpg

I looked at Mason, I was wanting to go stainless steel or titanium but not a deal breaker.
        • gweeds
          gweeds Posts: 2,605
          Have a chat with Jake Rusby at www.rusbycycles.co.uk

You can get custom for the same money, and it'll be a one-off.
          Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
        • kingstonian
          kingstonian Posts: 2,847
          You mentioned Tom Donhou earlier in the thread. I had him build my bike, absolutely fantastic work. All depends on budget though, of course.
        • styxd
          styxd Posts: 3,234
          anjasola wrote:
          I looked at Mason, I was wanting to go stainless steel or titanium but not a deal breaker.

Why? I doubt you'll find a better disc road frame made out of metal than that Mason