How do you think the GE will turn out?

1235»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Classic leftie hypocrite, of the 'Do as I say, don't do as I do' variety.

Never found that argument remotely convincing.

It's about the laws and policies they lay down right? Their provenance, their bank balance or property tastes is irrelevant.

Better not discuss the casual sexism...
    I think a lot of people find it pretty galling when Labour politicians tell people to one thing but do not do it themselves. Well documented examples include private education of children and tax avoidance. Not sure how the expect people to do as they are told when their leaders do not practice what they preach. Fortunately they won't get the chance to be proper hypocrites for a quite a long time :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,671
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Fortunately they won't get the chance to be proper hypocrites for a quite a long time :)

That's right, we're all in this together aren't we?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

perhaps Labour will get the leader it deserves.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 73311.html
    Harriet Harperson would fall into that category. Although for complete unelectability, where's Michael Foot now we need him?

There was an interesting article in the papers yesferday about whether Labour have outlived their usefulness. There were some very good arguments that this is the case and that they should just pack up and go home. Maybe they can ponder that in their long, long time in opposition. After all, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em :)

Don't despair, Kinnochio is still around. After all Pina once posted that he was the best prime minister we never had. (I'm still laughing, Stevo.) His son has just been elected as an MP, so I have high hopes for Kinnochio Jnr.
  • ballysmate
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It's about the laws and policies they lay down right? Their provenance, their bank balance or property tastes is irrelevant.

Nothing casual about sexism in the Labour Party. Women only short lists?
    You probably missed the irony in that the Conservatives elected a female leader on the basis of merit. (Regardless of what you think of her policies), whilst Labour adopt women only selection lists, thereby patronising 50% of the population.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Don't despair, Kinnochio is still around. After all Pina once posted that he was the best prime minister we never had. (I'm still laughing, Stevo.) His son has just been elected as an MP, so I have high hopes for Kinnochio Jnr.
    Oh yeah, nearly forgot about that :lol::lol::lol:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You probably missed the irony in that the Conservatives elected a female leader on the basis of merit. (Regardless of what you think of her policies), whilst Labour adopt women only selection lists, thereby patronising 50% of the population.
    Very true, hence my suggestion that Labour try to reverse what appears to be a sexist culture in the party.

Like you, I have has always been full of admiration for the best post war PM that this country has ever had. The Tories have nothing to prove on this point.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Even with a majority the size of a gnats toe, labour are a busted thrush and are years away from finding political relevance again.

The electoral boundaries are being redefined which will further erode the headcount of Labour MP's and the SNP won't have enough time to fcuk things up enough to allow Labour a toehold back in Scotland before the next election.

Will Cameron be heading the next electoral campaign? His personal popularity is much higher than than the Tory party which leaves succession issues which will more than likely be dealt with mid term.

The biggest threat to the Tories is the Tory party itself and no doubt the odd deranged and disenfranchised MP will soon unite with more unstable and equally deranged Members.

Interesting times, compounded by the referendum on Europe and the uncertainty that provides for businesses which is probably the worse thing you can do to a business.

That said I would suggest history will be kinder to the coalition than the electorate have been but then the Lib Dems should have known the Tories eat their own and were actively targeting the Lib Dem seats.....so when your swimming with sharks, put your anti shark suit on and pour some shark repellant into the water before you jump in. Isn't that right Nick & Vince the communist.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Very true, hence my suggestion that Labour try to reverse what appears to be a sexist culture in the party.

Like you, I have has always been full of admiration for the best post war PM that this country has ever had. The Tories have nothing to prove on this point.

Now i know you ve both lost it, when you refer to Thatcher as female.

i started a thread about benefit cuts and several expressed their concern over housing benefit, it is the tories policy on social housing that is costing this country billions (and lining the pockets of private land lords) but i guess if you think that is ok, that the coal mines situation was handled well, that we gave away most of our sovereignty under Thatcher and Major then yes def the best PM ever.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    mamba80 wrote:

Now i know you ve both lost it, when you refer to Thatcher as female.

i started a thread about benefit cuts and several expressed their concern over housing benefit, it is the tories policy on social housing that is costing this country billions (and lining the pockets of private land lords) but i guess if you think that is ok, that the coal mines situation was handled well, that we gave away most of our sovereignty under Thatcher and Major then yes def the best PM ever.[/quote]

Right to buy was initially opposed by Labour who then performed an about turn on the policy and while successive governments have tinkered around the edges of the legislation it remains largely intact with the original intention of Parliament undisturbed.

The miners choice was polarised by the personalities of Arthur and Maggie and there was only going to be one winner. Add the strikes of that era and unbalanced and unchecked power the unions exercised over elected and successive administrations, the three day week, crippling inflation, the winter of discontent. It was always about smashing the Unions and in that respect it was a successful outcome. The NUM provided the propellant for Maggie so its a very narrow, unrepresentative and self defeating question.

As for Europe we were already members of that particular club and the referendum in 1975 was a mandate to the then Labour government to back the UK's membership of the EEC by a ratio of 2:1 with a turn out of 67% of the population? Again a hand had already been dealt and the alternative was?

So yes, I'd say Maggie was probably the best post war PM the country has had.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ballysmate
    In 1976 the National Coal Board under a Labour government started to sell off its houses to its tenants at a reduced rate.
    Obviously, successive governments liked the idea.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    Now i know you ve both lost it
    Unlike the general election :wink: