New or Second hand help please???

bike1000
bike1000 Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I am thinking of getting into road biking as previously I have only used mountain bikes while out on the road.

I have two options buy a not so good road bike brand new or buy a decent road bike second hand.

my budget is fairly small at around £300 which I know isn't great but any advice will be helpful. Also any tips on which bikes to get in particular would be a help as well.

Thanks

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    edited May 2015
    Have a look at the Decathlon range of road bikes. They are outstanding value for money and have a lifetime warranty so you'll have peace of mind as well as a nice new bike with all new parts. Unless you really know what you're doing the second hand market can be a minefield.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Hi,
    I would suggest second hand as you get a much better value for money.
    Take a more experienced friend with you when picking one up (to help you to look for any sign of damage) and make absolutely sure that the size fit you well.
    Second hand bikes are great as you won't feel to precious about them: if you use it then it will be knocked and bumped over time. Once you had the bike for a while you will have a much better idea what the next one is going to be ;)
    Also you should budget some money on a decent lock if you will keep it anywhere public: it's not worth the bother spending £20 on something that can be open or break within 5 seconds.
    Good luck and enjoy the ride!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I reckon secondhand but you will need someone to advise of which one looks either hooky or just plain wrong. There are some beasts out there and you do need to be savvy. If buying by ebay, etc., then don't be afraid to walk away on the day even if you pay via Paypal but you will need to be clear on your reasons. Read the descriptions and try to gauge if the seller is genuine (does he describe the bike in detail, answer questions, give confidence that he has ridden it or does he know nothing about it and does not respond to any clarifications?). Things like having some receipts are a brucie bonus, not for their value but it helps with the provenance.

The named brands always hold their values well so if something looks too good to be true it probably is. Bikes like Allez/Roubaix, etc., are very common and there are lots about so you can price compare and get a good idea yourself of the current price points but don't pay over the odds for stuff that means nought (some folks buy the bottom spec Allez, stick a full DA groupo on and then expect a huge premium in return).

A couple of years ago I got a fab 2011 Allez E5 (Elite) frameset that was in spanking condition for £200. I swapped all the kit across from the previous bike I had (that was flogged to death) and I now have a cracking bike that cost not a lot.
  • sloweey
    sloweey Posts: 89
    i have a ribble ultralite for sale full 105 groupset mavic cp 22 wheels ceneli stem and bars fizik bar tape sella italia saddle ...just had service and wheels trued ...rides lovely ..wife as just bought me a new cube for birthday was gona keep for winter bike but have no room
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    sloweey wrote:
    i have a ribble ultralite for sale full 105 groupset mavic cp 22 wheels ceneli stem and bars fizik bar tape sella italia saddle ...just had service and wheels trued ...rides lovely ..wife as just bought me a new cube for birthday was gona keep for winter bike but have no room
    You haven't mentioned the one detail that is far more important than any other.....What size is it?

If the bike isn't the right size, don't allow yourself to be convinced to buy it by the price or the spec or the appearance. If it's not the right size, it's not the right bike.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Don't forget the classified section on this website.

One example is this Medium Giant SCR 2.0 on offer at £190. Looks to be a bargain at that price if the size is right for you

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13027253

or this at £200 but collection only so you would need to be located in the Raynes Park area unless you are prepared to travel

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13025642
  • sloweey
    sloweey Posts: 89
    so sorry its 56cm