Choosing GPS device by function

g00se
g00se Posts: 2,221
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I currently have basic Bryton Rider 40 which works fine for me. I'm thinking of upgrading at some point and I quite like the bluetooth alerting functions on devices like the new Lezyne computers - and the instant uploads of these and the new Garmins/Brytons.

I'm only partially interested in mapping but one thing I think I would like, but don't know how readily available it is, is the mapping display of the road ahead when not in a route-following mode. Say you're on a long winding decent, a quick idea on the path of the road head could be useful.

Is this sort of thing dynamic enough on the mapping computers? Or are they a bit stop/start in presenting the position on a map?

Any thoughts welcome.
Cheers

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    The mapping is good and not stop start - it wont help you plan your line on a corner but it will tell you if a junction is coming up - it's better than the breadcrumb trail type navigation but on a winding descent your eyes will be on the road not your gps.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The mapping is good and not stop start - it wont help you plan your line on a corner but it will tell you if a junction is coming up - it's better than the breadcrumb trail type navigation but on a winding descent your eyes will be on the road not your gps.

Cheers - which device is that? And does it display the map, even when not following a route?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My Garmin Edge Touring Plus can display the map showing your position while riding, even if you're not following a course. If you are following a course, it will zoom in and give you turn directions as you approach a junction, then go back to the zoomed out map view after the turn.

I generally have it show distance, speed and heartrate. I still get the zoomed in map / directions at junctions.