Haibike Heet SL Full Suss

BLW
BLW Posts: 96
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Just bought my first full suspension bike and will be collecting it at the weekend, so I’m super excited atm! :D However, I’m needing a little advice please if you don’t mind.

My budget was at the low end (I’m not competitive, still gaining experience, so couldn’t warrant spending 3-4k on one, as much as I’d love to) but I also wanted to get something a bit different, something you don’t see everyone else with, although I appreciate they may well be a perfectly good reason for that…as in because they may not be a half decent bike. Any experience/thoughts on the Haibike Heat SL?

It’s just that I can’t seem to find any reviews as such on this particular bike, :( it’s mostly all about the ebikes that Haibike do. The guy in the bike shop said they aren’t that popular over here in the UK, so that’s why you won’t have seen many knocking about but said don’t let that put you off, there good bikes, German built and for the price (reduced to £1,800) apparently it’s not too badly equipped for that price...?

• Fork: RS Pike RC, Dual Position, suspension: air, damping: oil, travel: 120-160mm, tapered
• Front derailleur: Shimano SLX M 671, Direct Mount
• Rear derailleur: Shimano SLX M 675 Shadow Plus, 30-speed
• Shiftlever: Shimano SLX M 670, Rapidfire, I-Spec
• Crankset: Shimano SLX M 672, 40-30-22 Teeth, 2-piece crankset
• Bottom bracket: Shimano Press Fit SM-BB 71
• Sprocket: Sram PG 1030, 11-36 T, 10-gear
• Chain: Shimano HG 54
• Brake lever: Shimano SLX M 675, hydraulic disc brake
• Brake (front): Shimano SLX M 675, Ice-Tech, hydraulic disc brake, 203mm
• Brake (rear): Shimano SLX M 675, Ice-Tech, hydraulic disc brake, 180mm
• Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf TSC, foltable, 27,5x2,35
• Rim: DT Swiss 533d Disc, alloy double wall
• Hub (front): Shimano SLX M678, 15mm axle
• Hub (rear): Shimano SLX M678, 142/12mm axle
• Spokes: DT Swiss Competition, black 2,0/1,8/2,0mm
• Handlebar: Haibike Top-Flatbar Alu, 740mm
• Grips: XLC Sport lock on grips
• Stem: Haibike Alu, superlight, oversize
• Headset: Cane Creek Angleset, angele 0°, incl.1° angular, tapered
• Saddle: Fizik Tundra 2
• Seatpost: Kind Shock eTen, Remote, 31,6mm, allen key clamp
• Pedals: w/o
• Rear shock: Rock Shox Monarch RT3,suspension:air,Damping oil
• Weight: 13,2kg

I need to buy some decent flat pedals too, nothing too pricey though, say up to £80.00 ish? any recommendations?

Also, tires, now I’ve no idea what the tires are like that comes on it but I currently use Maxxis Ardents on my on hardtail which I love, they plough through anything and have amazing grip, so I’m thinking maybe I should get some put on this bike? or would a different Maxxis tire be better suited to a full suss? (I ride over various ground, be it wet, rocky muddy…snow in winter) so I need an all round tire. Should I run a different one on the front to the back through summer? (I’m just thinking of the different ground conditions though summer I guess)

Is there anything else that smacks ‘oooh well I’d change that’ with the above spec?

Your thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Thank You :)

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Looks like a great spec for the money to me. Don't worry - I ride a 'weird' German built bike too...and love it!

Re. pedals - you can get these with the Titanium Axle upgrade for £70 with this discount :

30% off Superstar Delta EVO pedals with code "PDEL"
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/d ... pedals.htm
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Spec looks very good for the price although the Monarch shock has a few 'doubters', they have thrifted the cassette somewhat compared to the rest, but you may as well wear it out before putting something more in keeping on.

Hans Dampfs are well respected, try them before you change them would be my advice, then say what you do and don't like about them, possibly a faster rolling rear (Rocket Rons do well for that) for summer.

Pedals, no need to spend that much, Superstar Nano or a Wellgo MG flavoured pair would be my suggestion, just as good as much dearer pedals.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    The Rookie wrote:
    Spec looks very good for the price although the Monarch shock has a few 'doubters',

Was very unimpressed with mine but just got it custom tuned and now it's much improved

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    The Rookie wrote:
    Pedals, no need to spend that much, Superstar Nano or a Wellgo MG flavoured pair would be my suggestion, just as good as much dearer pedals.

Use the code above and you can get Superstar's higher spec Delta EVO for the same price as the Nano's

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:
    Spec looks very good for the price although the Monarch shock has a few 'doubters',

Was very unimpressed with mine but just got it custom tuned and now it's much improved

I'm on my second Monarch. They're crap. Really harsh. My first was a standard Monarch RCT3 and the new one is a Monarch Debonair RCT3 which is only mildly better. I'm sure XC air shocks peaked with the Fox RP23, a brilliant reliable and cheap rear shock.
    Mine is now at the back of the bench and a much better Cane Creek DB Inline fitted to the bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For the OP, try it first, some reviews of bikes have shown the Monarch to not always be bad, for example the review on here of the Vitus Escarpe. Of course for every bike component better can be had, on anything sub a £7K budget there is always a compromise somewhere!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BLW
    BLW Posts: 96
    Hello and thank you guys for you feed back, I’ve since had a read up on the reviews for RS Monarch rear suss…oh and about the various tyres, yes I see what you mean, although I wouldn’t be able to relate to the issues (re the rear shock) as I’ve never had a full suspesion MTB before, so it’s all new to me but it’s certainly interesting to see what issues people have had and what they've done or upgraded to, all food for thought at that :D .

I think as suggested above, I’ll stick with the tyres that are on it at the moment, see how I get on with them first, I can always switch back to some Ardents or a different Maxxis tyre in due course, makes sense to at least try them, you're right there.

First go on it will be this Sunday, round Sherwood Pines, good place to get to know the bike I recon but I’m itching to get back to Greno Woods to have a play on the various down hill tracks, after watching Peaty's Steel City DH last weekend, I thing I've got the bug!