Next new Tyres

gdcfc1
gdcfc1 Posts: 127
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Running Continental Grand Prix 4000s II tyres. Thinking ahead to when these need replacing, would you buy more of the same or else what would you change to? Am happy with these for grip and speed but just wondering as to thoughts here....
looking into the +1

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Used to ride the 4000s mk1 version. Moved to Michelin Pro4 Service Course in 25mm and perfectly happy, and they are a lot cheaper. Feel very grippy and no real cuts or nicks yet.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    They're fantastic tyres, but I went back to Pro4 SC after my stint on them. Really it was only because I didn't notice a difference in ride quality/grip/comfort and the Michelin's are far cheaper. Only thing is the Pro4 in 25mm are actually over 27mm so make sure you have clearance if you go that route.

Of course if you're looking for ride quality then go with Veloflex Carbons. ;)
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Anonymous
    Grill - would the 23mm give a 25mm (equivalent) ride? I am on older, narrower rims.
    Cheers
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    No the 23mm actually come up at 23mm. The 23mm GP4000s are 23.8mm so could be cushier (never noticed myself) or you could look to S-Works Turbo 24mm tyres. FWIW I was running 25mm Pro4's on Ksyrium Elites which are pretty narrow with no problems.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Anonymous
    I'm running the 25s on 2014 zondas with no issues on my Boardman. I've looked at the Sworks tyres but the zondas are also for wet so not sure they would be the right things for the job
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've been running 25mm GP 4 Seasons year round so far on my winter / wet weather bike. Now I also have a carbon summer bike I've put 25mm Pro 4 SC on that. I'm liking the comfort the extra volume provides, and impressions so far are that they are very grippy in the dry.

The price of the Michelins vs the equivalent Conti's (GP4000 s?) was what swayed me.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I think I may have been unlucky with conti 4000s as I suffered from two or three sidewall failures and visits from the p*ncture brigade. The price of the Michelin pro4's is what tempted me to try them out. The acid test would be if they were the same price which one would I choose. Well, they aren't, but I still think I'd go Michelin next time round.

If you have had no problems with the conti's and like them, I suspect the pro4's won't offer any significant change. One thing I suffered from on the conti's was that in 25mm, the front tyre came into contact with the underside of my forks - it was only fractional and the paint was scraped before I noticed it. Lesson learned! I just run 23's on all my wheels now.

Peter
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Grill wrote:
    ...FWIW I was running 25mm Pro4's on Ksyrium Elites which are pretty narrow with no problems.
    That's what I'm currently using on my road bike and I'm very happy with them. Would definitely recommend teh Pro 4 SC in 25mm as long as you can fit them. Plenty room on a Canyon Ultimate.
    keef66 wrote:
    I've been running 25mm GP 4 Seasons year round so far on my winter / wet weather bike. Now I also have a carbon summer bike I've put 25mm Pro 4 SC on that. I'm liking the comfort the extra volume provides, and impressions so far are that they are very grippy in the dry....
    Same here, 25mm GP 4 seasons on the old bike (now mutant tri-bike) and Pro4 SC on the new road bike. I've got a set of GP4000s I picked up cheap when they were selling them off before GP4000s II came out so they'll be replacing the 4 Seasons in the next week or two ahead of some upcoming races. I've never used GP4000s so I'll be interested to see what they're like.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Evans are doing a special offer on Vittoria Pave 25mm (£32): just picked up and fitted them before the TdY sportive and they performed very well indeed. Excellent grip (it was very wet all along) and nice and supple at the same time.
    Can't really compare to other 25mm as I'm always used 23mm.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    For a more supple ride at the expense of milage, Ribble are doing twin packs of Vittoria Open Corsas for £54, which is a great price.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Schwalbe One's get my vote, especially now they're usually discounted
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    I've not used GP4000 but no doubt they're good tyres. I go for a balance of quality/value/durability not necessarily light-weight performance. I've been running conti grand prix classics in 25mm cost £26-29 they're good. On my other wheels have got Durano 25mm on, they're my 2 recommends. Don't like Vittorias as they seem to come out too skinny for the 25mm version- more like 23mm when compared with Schwalbe/Conti.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will