Monolink (FSA SL-K stripped thread)

bazzer2
bazzer2 Posts: 189
edited June 2015 in Workshop
So I bit a very expensive bullet and got hold of a Selle Italia seat, and a FSA SLK monolink post. Looked very carefully at the instructions after reading some interesting reviewers comments about how to adjust the position after initial installation.

Installed in my workshop, all fine. First ride (40 milesish) was a hoot ('Friction free' is NOT marketing b*llshit!) and I was pleased with it all.

Second ride, not so much. I stopped after about 30 miles, and sat slightly back on the saddle. As I did so, the saddle tipped back. Remembering the instructions with the seatpost, you're supposed to remove the upper (seatclamp) bolt, and use it in the opposite side of the other (angle) clamp to loosen it. I did this, and tightened the angle clamp. Put the seatclamp bolt back in and promptly pulled the entire thread out of it.

Needless to say, I'm not best pleased. The shop I bought it are saying "a stripped thread is not a warrantable issue" and are offering a new post for £30 as a goodwill gesture.

I've asked FSA about warranty, but not heard from them yet.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Warranty will only cover you for defective materials and manufacture. That said, it's got to be fit for purpose and therefore angling for a replacement set of clamp parts isn't unreasonable.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bazzer2
    If spare parts were available, it's likely I'd have bought some. But they're not. I've been asked to send it back to the shop for inspection.

Thing is, this will leave me without the product, and my money! Plus, if it's deemed to be 'user error' (and I'm not exactly holding my breath) I'm most likely going to be told it's unsafe to use, and has been destroyed, or I need to send more money for them to send it back.

I hope it is a dud, I've got quite a lot of FSA stuff across 5 bikes. I'd not like to lose faith in the brand.
  • bazzer2
    The shop sent it to FSA, they inspected it, confirmed the issue and sent it back to me, with a new set of clamps. I think it was a dud, as I've managed to torque up the replacement to 'bloody tight' without issue.

*(and yes, I'm using a torque wrench!)