Fulcrum Racing Quattro.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I,m in the market for a set of wheels and came across these Fulcrum racing Quattro. Look great does anybody else have these wheels.
Thanks in advance.
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I have them, they're great. Really stiff.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I don't have them but a few guys I ride with do. The general consensus is that they are well built strong wheels that will take a hammering, probably due to the sound 35mm rims. They don't flex for bigger riders but then again they are not the lightest and seem to weigh above their quoted weight (~1750g). Not sure if you ride fast enough to benefit from the limited aero benefits that a 35mm rim offers but they still look good at lower speeds :)

Hence, they are good all rounders but not that sprightly. I looked into the Quattros (and a few other options) a while ago but went for the Zondas instead as they suit my type of riding more (the Cotswolds have a lot of punchy climbs) and I don't need to worry quite so much about the 'bombproof' option.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    Got a set of the racing quattro cx and agree with all the above - good stiff wheels that have taken a few hits without needing trued. Probably a bit heavy for most to race on but what I'd call Summer training wheels - though I realise some people like to train on deep section carbons in Summer these days ! Think the CX option have better seals on the bearings probably at the expense of a watt or two of drag - suited me as again I'm not racing on them anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I had a set but changed them recently for Zondas. The Quattros are very good wheels, very strong and stiff (stiffer than zondas due to their 38mm section) and bomb proof in my experience. I had mine for 2 years and done approx 5k kms on them and they never needed a moments attention in that time. They roll really well and make a nice hum while rolling. They do weigh more than the claimed 1710g, mine actually weighed in at 1820g (shimano free hub) and while that may seem heavy the weight was in the hubs and the wheels spun as freely and lightly as my zondas which are 240g lighter. I had no reason to change mine, I just fancied a change and went for Zondas. I'd have absolutely no hesitation in buying another set in the future. And for reference, the lighter Zondas have made absolutely zero diffference in terms of average speed, they may spin up a little quicker but its so little that its negligible and its quite possible the deeper section of the Quattros helps maintain higher speeds and so any weight difference is negated. Maybe if my last wheels had been 4 or 500g heavier then I might have found a difference. The bearings in the Quattros are cup and cone and probably identical to the Zondas (as they both have OS 17mm axles) and a wheels ability to roll smoothly and freely is down to bearings first and tyres second.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    MugenSi wrote:
    The bearings in the Quattros are cup and cone and probably identical to the Zondas (as they both have OS 17mm axles) and a wheels ability to roll smoothly and freely is down to bearings first and tyres second.

Mine aren't... They have sealed bearings.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Dabber wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:
    The bearings in the Quattros are cup and cone and probably identical to the Zondas (as they both have OS 17mm axles) and a wheels ability to roll smoothly and freely is down to bearings first and tyres second.

Mine aren't... They have sealed bearings.

Oh maybe they are, I though they were the same as Zondas, open to correction on that one so.... :oops:
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    Have to say, i didn't get on at all well with my Quattro's.. after about 500 miles it was apparent that there was some play in the rear wheel bearings. Removing it by adjusting the pre-load just caused the freehub to move in a nutating motion. Replacing the bearings (sealed cartridge) and the freehub solved the problem (for a while).
    It returned and thus they were sent back to the supplier who didn't diagnose the fault, changed the freehub and sent them back to me... They were still the same, so Wiggle refunded me to their eternal credit!

I suspect a slighly bent or misaligned axle or hub machining was to blame, as any new bearings were simply being damaged due to being out of alignment.

I've never heard of any other issues with them so i suspect you can buy with confidence. I once had a set of Campag Vento's which for the money were faultless.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Thanks for the replies. I,m going to order a set. I,m climbing Alp D,huez in June six times in one day for charity so will be using the wheels for that purpose.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura