opinions on what bike to get?(from raleigh.co.uk)

Fashionk
Fashionk Posts: 5
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello all, i am planning on getting a bike from raleigh.co,uk as they have a 20% student discount, i only want to spend max £350(without discount) and was wondering what to get?
i wont be going off road too much but will be on roads and the routes mainly, but i know for sure i definitely want a MTB for sure

i saw these 3 bikes

http://www.shopraleigh.co.uk/Product.as ... 0&pg=13069

http://www.shopraleigh.co.uk/Product.as ... 0&pg=12175

http://www.shopraleigh.co.uk/Product.as ... 0&pg=12176

could you tell me which one is suitable for me and why the outlook is better than the overdrive
and also if i should get the 29er?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Even with 20% off they are terrible value. Take a look at the Decathlon Rockrider bikes or Carrera bikes from Halfords.
    If you sign up for the free British Cycling membership Halfords will give you 10% discount.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Even with 20% off they are terrible value. Take a look at the Decathlon Rockrider bikes or Carrera bikes from Halfords.
    If you sign up for the free British Cycling membership Halfords will give you 10% discount.
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    The Calibre point 22 from go outdoors is far better than any of those bikes,
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Fashionk
    The Calibre point 22 from go outdoors is far better than any of those bikes,
    Sorry that is out of my price range
  • Fashionk
    oh, i thought they were okay bikes
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not really. Dreadful forks, heavy components and real low end nasty transmission.
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Not nearly as good as you would get by going the extra 30 quid at go outdoors.

£30 over your budget gets you far better equipment, brakes, forks, gears etc. Well worth digging that little bit deeper for.

At your price range, there is no competition for the point 22. Not much even comes close tbh.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    The 2015 carrera vengeance is very good value, for your price point, carrera is pretty hard to beat.

The caliber is a fantastic bike for the cash though, and has hydraulic rather than mechanical disc brakes, which are much better.

It really is worth stretching to the caliber IMHO, I love my carrera vengeance, but the caliber is a good step up for not much extra.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Agree with above - or buy used - you will get more bike for your money.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.