Packable Rain Jacket

anjasola
anjasola Posts: 145
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Any personal recommendations? My research seems to be confusing me.
Your help would be appreciated.

Comments

• rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
    Castelli Muur.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Be prepared for a thread full of confirmation bias as everyone posts what they bought.

On that note. Rapha Rain Jacket
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Need an idea of your budget + what you're using it for (e.g. just for emergencies so don't mind if it's not very breathable or a shell you can ride at a decent pace for long periods in in which case breathability will be important)
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    There's an Endura Helium in the classifieds.
    As others have said though,depends on budget and usage.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Depends on budget, proposed use and exactly how packable you need it to be.

I have a Goretex Paclite top that's pretty breathable, but it has to be rolled up very tightly / carefully to fit in a jersey pocket. With the right layering I can ride all day in it if necessary though. 100% waterproof. Not cheap though.

At the other end of the spectrum I have an Endura Cropton top that came free with a Cycling Plus subscription years ago. Screws up to the size of an apple and sits permanently in my seatpack as an emergency layer. It's windproof and breathable but not at all waterproof. Most of the time it's used as a little picnic blanket if I take a breather on a long ride or I'm stopped fixing a puncture.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    On sale at the moment:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/alt ... t-ec025044

Packs small into its own bag and fits in a Torm pocket.

I have had mine a year but only worn it once for 55 miles on a damp ride in the Borders. It kept the rain out but I was still sticky at the end.
  • anjasola
    Bit more info, most important packable and breathable, to be used when out on long rides when weather unpredictable. Budget wise whatever but like everyone I do like a bargain.

Thanks again for the replies/input.
  • colinsmith123
    colinsmith123 Posts: 579
    When I was reasoning this one last year I was toying with spending a few bob on a nice packable rain jacket. But then I thought, well how often does it rain? 1 in 10 rides in winter, maybe a bit more in summer. And how effective are the top end jackets against the mid-range? So in the end I plumped for Altura Pocket Rocket. It does the job. Like most waterproof jackets they can be a boil in the bag and If it rains real hard yes I get wet. but my bottom half gets soaked.

One trend I have noticed is that when t does start to rain I usually ride on for 5-10 minutes just to see if the rain eases off before I put the jacket on. I then stop, put on said jacket start riding and hey presto usually within 5-10 minutes it stops raining.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You don't get breathable but after trying quite a few over the years I've stuck with the Sportful Hotpack, extremely light, waterproof to a certain extent, you don't boil in the bag and it packs up to the size of a satsuma.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...] Altura Pocket Rocket. It does the job[...]

+1. Like an umbrella when walking, I find that having it with me wards off the rain.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have a think about sizing and fit. I use the below jacket for road and mountain biking. It breathes well enough and while not being skin tight it's not a flappy sail either. I use a different jacket in winter that is warmer but for a packable shower jacket it's fine for my needs and fits in a Jersey pocket.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gor ... t-ec059916
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    DrLex wrote:
    [...] Altura Pocket Rocket. It does the job[...]

+1. Like an umbrella when walking, I find that having it with me wards off the rain.

I have worn mine for last years Fred Whitton and last weekends Tour de Yorkshire Ride, which was a rainfest. It is a bit boil in the bag, but I quite appreciated that heat at times, and it does keep most of the rain out. Paired with Nanoflex bibshorts and Sportful no rain leg warmers everything from my wrists to my ankles was fine.

Now if I could just sort out my hands and feet...
  • anjasola
    The deal has been done, opted for a Castelli Muur will give a report on it when worn.

Thanks again.
  • rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
      anjasola wrote:
      The deal has been done, opted for a Castelli Muur will give a report on it when worn.

Thanks again.

You won't regret it. Pricey but fantastic. I borrowed a mates at TdY sportive and was sti warm and dry at the end so went and bought one
    • MiddleRinger
      MiddleRinger Posts: 678
      I've got two packable rain jackets:

1) The ALDI one. It does the job. Cheap, totally waterproof but not very aero fitting.

2) Sportful Hot Pack 5. Much more impressive, costs a bit but does a superb job! Love it!

Review: Sportful Hot Pack 5 Packable Jacket

hotpackedited.jpg?w=567&h=277