Advice on DA9000 chainset

carlsaint
carlsaint Posts: 60
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi all, i have a 53/39 chainset but want to swap the smaller chainring, preferably to a 36 or if not then a 38. Has anyone any experience of whether this will be a problem? Any advise appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    carlsaint wrote:
    Hi all, i have a 53/39 chainset but want to swap the smaller chainring, preferably to a 36 or if not then a 38. Has anyone any experience of whether this will be a problem? Any advise appreciated. Thanks

Yes the BCD of the new DA 9000 allows you to fit an inner chainring down to 34 teeth if you want - so a 36 tooth inner is easily do-able.

You would just need to check if the matching of a 34 or 36 inner to a 53 outer chainring can be accommodated by the front mech. You may need to switch to a 52 outer for the 36 inner or even a 50 outer for the 34 inner.

Don't take this as gospel - hopefully some others with direct experience will be along to give you a definitive answer.
  • carlsaint
    carlsaint Posts: 60
    Yeah I knew the bcd is the same so you can fit any chainring. Meant more for the chain drop from a 53 to a 36 and whether there'd be any deraileur rub or anything. Wondering if anyone had done this before? Thanks for the reply though!
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    carlsaint wrote:
    Yeah I knew the bcd is the same so you can fit any chainring. Meant more for the chain drop from a 53 to a 36 and whether there'd be any deraileur rub or anything. Wondering if anyone had done this before? Thanks for the reply though!

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-dur ... 60613.html
    capacity 16T(eeth)

so 53/37 (don't think they do a 37) or 52/36

what cassette are you running - can get a 30T and even 32T on the cassette which is another option