GT Grade Carbon Ultegra vs BMC Granfondo GF01 Disc

Wheelinthai
Wheelinthai Posts: 12
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
First post here by a new member. So please kindly forgive me if this post is redundant.
Both GT Grade Carbon Ultegra and BMC Granfondo GF01 Disc receive high accolade from BikeRadar. Please give final verdict which would be better for my purpose. I'll use the bike on tarmac exclusively, but rural roads are sometime in need of resurfacing. Rider's comfort on long hours in the saddle is equally important as ability to maintain high speed. Primary use will be 50-75 km. training and 160+km. SAG touring.

Comments

• Maconi
    Maconi Posts: 1
    I'm in the exact same position. I'll be riding on tarmac 95% of the time and want a relaxed geometry road bike (Endurance/Gravel/GrandFondo/Sportage/whatever) but I don't want it to be a slug either (it'll be used as a commuter/fitness/pleasure bike). It's pretty much down to the GT Grade Carbon, BMC GF01, or Specialized Roubaix for me.

BikeRadar declared the BMC the "best of 2015" (with the GT right behind it) but I've seen some conflicting reports on the BMC (people saying they feel like there's a lot of drag with the bike, that the tires are WAY too close to the frame with 28s, etc.).

On the other hand I've seen nothing but positive reviews for the GT (minus some reports of front fork/wheel chatter when braking) but I haven't really seen anyone compare it to something like the Specialized Roubaix or Trek Domane (bikes I'm more familiar with) and if either bike (the BMC/GT) surpass them with dampening, comfort, performance, etc. The only negative I could pin on the GT is that there's no internal cabling (which means if you want UI2/DI2 you'll have to have an external battery).

Hopefully someone will chime in soon as I'm getting antsy and want a new bike :D lol.

Relevant BikeRadar vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol80MlYac90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6C7F9D2YqE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GnASmbG64U
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think you might find that BMC have recalled the 28mm tyres and fitted 25mm now.

I know there have been issues and tyre swaps with the Ultegra version.
    If you look on the evans site the Ultegra now comes with 25mm.

Another difference is that the GT has a semi compact 52/36 chainset as apposed to 50/34.

I would not want 28mm tyres anyway so would get the BMC and put bigger chainrings on.
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    well I have the Grade (with a few upgrades) and totally love it but then I use it more like 60/40 on off road. The off road being mostly what in the old CTC days you might call Rough-stuff. Anyway if it were my choice to make for solely on (albeit rough) road use I'd go with the BMC.

Not to say the GT isn't great on road but it's off road qualities which are quite amazing would be totally wasted.
  • Wheelinthai
    Wheelinthai Posts: 12
    Thanks for chiming in :D . I do have Grade Alloy 105 which is my favourite bike over my Bianchi Volpe. That is why I'm leaning towards the Grade Carbon Ultegra. My LBS handle both brands, so I'm well set there. Also the dealer will replace the crank with 50-34 compact crank at no addional charge. Yet I'd like to hear from some one who has ridden both models on road.
    Maconi I feel you.
  • If there's any GT Grade Carbon owners out there, I'd like to hear what you think of your ride.

I'm toying with the idea of buying one, mainly for road use on spring/autumn days on the crappy roads of west central scotland and perhaps as a holiday climbing bike.