Upgrade my bike, or get a new one

djwc
djwc Posts: 39
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Currently running a Orbea Aqua, with Shimano 2300 gears (the bottom of the range). Thinking of doing one of two things:

1. Getting a groupset of Shimano 105 which are currently around £290
2. Getting a new bike, with Shimano 105 on it, and selling my current bike

Opinions please! Know of any good deals on bikes with good gears?

Thanks

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    DJWC wrote:
    Currently running a Orbea Aqua, with Shimano 2300 gears (the bottom of the range). Thinking of doing one of two things:

1. Getting a groupset of Shimano 105 which are currently around £290
    2. Getting a new bike, with Shimano 105 on it, and selling my current bike

Opinions please! Know of any good deals on bikes with good gears?

Thanks
    You'll need to give more to go on if you want usefully constructive answers.
    For starters: Why do you want 105 gears?
    2nd: Is the existing bike a good fit and in good condition? Do you like it?
    3rd: What sort of riding do you do, how long have you been riding & do you have plans to change the sort of riding you do?
    4th: Do you intend to make ongoing changes to the bike, would upgrading the gears on the existing bike only be a placeholder or is this a one time thing and whichever option you pick will be for the long-haul?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I am guessing the key gripe with the 2300 is the thumb shifters, and OP wants 10/11 speed with possibly a double up front. And 105 seemed the right level to go at.

I guess the answer is very much dependent on whether you intend fitting the groupset yourself - if not then it would add to the cost significantly and might change the answer.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As well as the above, I think your budget may dictate the best course of action.

Your £290 groupset may end up costing you more if your current wheels are 8/9/10 speed only. So you may end up spending say £400 on upgrading, and then think the frame is letting the other bits down. What if I'd spent more and gone for carbon...

Only you can know this...
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    What Keef said - if you wheels aren't 11 speed compatible you'll need to drop another £100 for a new set.
  • apreading
    or go for a 10 speed groupset from Merlin for £265
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    you could do what I did recently.

Ordered a new groupset to put on my bike, then when it arrived decided it would go much better on a nice new frame with new wheels and finishing kit :D
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    My money would be going on a new bike, n+1 and all that. :)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Chris Bass wrote:
    you could do what I did recently.

Ordered a new groupset to put on my bike, then when it arrived decided it would go much better on a nice new frame with new wheels and finishing kit :D

Good skills!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • djwc
    Yeah basically don't like the thumb shifters, and also the shifting is far from perfect - not good when you live near lots of hills!

I've not been road cycling all that long but want to take it a little more seriously. Don't think I'm quite in the realms of a carbon frame yet - don't trust myself in case I have a wipeout and have to replace my frame! Looking to do a few organised rides this summer, around the south downs.

Gears-wise I would like a few more gears, and nice smooth shifting between them.
  • apreading
    Do you know what bottom bracket you have - is it hollowtech or square taper? I think it will probably be the latter, in which case you will probably need your frame to be 'faced' so that the hollowtech bottom bracket with 105 will have perfectly parallel faces to mount to. I am guessing this wont be something that you do yourself, so would add to the cost.
  • 70\ʹspenguin
    70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
    I have some 105 5700 10 speed shifters, front and rear mech and a 10 speed 105 cassette all in good fully working condition. A few scratches and the usual wear and tear from a few thousand miles but all working well and smoothly. If your crank can take a 10 speed chain then all you would need is a 10 sp chain and some brake and gear cables and with the remainder I'm sure you'd have enough for a nice set of wheels

If I did it at £85 posted you'd have enough for some zondas from ze Germans!
  • djwc
    What do people know about Merida bikes? Any good?

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p74461/Merida ... -Bike.aspx

Read a couple of reviews saying these were really good bikes. Anyone have any experience of one?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    DJWC wrote:
    What do people know about Merida bikes? Any good?

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p74461/Merida ... -Bike.aspx

Read a couple of reviews saying these were really good bikes. Anyone have any experience of one?
    Yeah, they're perfectly reputable and I believe they make some very good bikes.
    I think they and Giant are the two biggest frame manufacturers in the world. Merida do or did make frames for many other brands.
    I hired one on holidays a couple of years ago, a Scultura something or other and I quite liked it.
    They generally get good reviews (although I tend to take those with a pinch of salt).

I like the carbon Reacto. Don't know much about the aluminium version. I'd be surprised if there's much wrong with it.