Campag Bora clincher frame clearance?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I have my eye on these. However on my C59 there is not really enough clearance on the fork for 25 mm tyres. Is it worth buying them to use with 23 mm tyres? Do 25mm tyres take less or more vertical space when used with a wider rim?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited May 2015
    Bear in mind some tyres are taller than others, I seem to remember someone saying vittoria 25mm are amongst the least in height.

The latest C59s apparently had a different fork for getting more clearance for 25mm tyres.

Some people have got 25mm tyres working with 'enough clearance' on C59s, but, you're far better off trying to find someone running the exact combination of wheels and tyres (plus that fork issue) to be properly sure.

There's a lot of C59s on the weightweenies forum too, you might find someone to PM on there who appears to be running what you want, if anyone is.
  • on-yer-bike
    mfin wrote:
    Bear in mind some tyres are taller than others, I seem to remember someone saying vittoria 25mm are amongst the least in height.

The latest C59s apparently had a different fork for getting more clearance for 25mm tyres.
    Tried a normal width wheel( Neutron) with a 25mm Vittoria and there is about half a millimetre clearance. My C59 is a dual router but maybe not the very latest version.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • mfin
    Here you go, this on weightweenies will interest you http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127564
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    I have a similar problem with Bora clinchers. I have 23mm conti GP 4000s on now. i dont see a problem with that setup. Issue for me is clearance under the front brake caliper.
    I would imagine 2015 campagnolo calipers will fix this, I currently have older brakes.

Will try and upload pics tonight if you want?
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    mfin wrote:
    Here you go, this on weightweenies will interest you http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127564

Very glad I read this thread, and thanks for the link. I bought a C59 last year and have yet to build it up, but had been toying with the idea of archetypes. Not any more! Might just get another set of Neutron Ultras.
  • mfin
    Very glad I read this thread, and thanks for the link. I bought a C59 last year and have yet to build it up, but had been toying with the idea of archetypes. Not any more! Might just get another set of Neutron Ultras.

Enjoy your C59 when you build it, it's a fantastic bike.

There's a guy in the your bikes section with a C60 that has tried 25s and has had to go to 23s, on Shamals I think, and that'll be the fork that's on the latest C59s. It's always the tyre height that's creating the problem, and nearly all wheels seem to be fine on 23s. I was actually considering Bora 35 Tubulars at one time on mine but I'd have been using 23s on them.

I'm not fussed by 25s at all, anyway. The performance gains are naff all and the C59 running 23mm tyres is dead smooth riding anyway. Most people buying C59's have enough money to buy the best open tubulars and latex tubes anyway for the best quality ride and many won't be riding a bike like that in foul weather either where a less plush but more robust tyre might be desirable. Also, if the pretty negligible performance gains are to be used I don't know many consumers racing on C59s.

Of course, it might be nice to have the option for 25s but it's not possible really, so who cares.
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    Like yourself, I'm not too fussed by the whole 25mm movement. I use them on my winter bike, and it's not a life-changing experience. I'm not a racer either, so performance is not critical.

I only got tubs for the first time a year or so ago (been cycling since circa 1987) but quietly dread my first puncture. I think I'm prepared adequately for it, but I still carry (actually, wear in an "8") a spare tub in case my preparation or technique is found wanting. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably just get another set of Bora One dark labels, perhaps 35mm instead of 50mm. Or Wheelsmiths, if you can be arsed getting in the queue.
  • on-yer-bike
    tried friends new bora 35 with vittoria 25mm and only a 1mm if that. i dont mind running them with 23 mm although may make edges of the rim more vulnerable to damage.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo