Narrowed it down to 3 - but which one?

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
I think I've narrowed the search for a new steed down to 3 bikes:

VITUS Escarpe ( REVIEW )

Canyon Nerve AL7.0 ( REVIEW )

BIRD Aeris 3

All are around the £1500 mark which is my max budget (crept up from £1200.....).

Struggling with the pros & cons of each though.

The Bird is the only one I can physically test ride, I can probably ask around locally to see if I can have a blast on a Vitus or Canyon.

Anyone have experience with the X-Fusion forks & shock of the Bird?

Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For me the Bird would be first choice, the Vitus last choice.
    To be honest though I would probably buy a Giant Trance instead just because of the excellent frame.
  • dirkpitt74
    Why would you put the Vitus last?
    Not a huge fan of the Giant tbh - just don't like the look of it.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    spec on the vitus is a bit shit compared to the canyon but the vitus is a lot cheaper - I'd rather have the manitou/RS suspension than the fox stuff on the canyon. you could spend the difference on putting better components on the vitus though.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I've got the Canyon and it's an outstanding bike, especially considering the spec you get for the price. The Fox fork and shock are surprisingly good for the entry level models too.

That said, the Bird Aeris is a great looking machine, and I'm very keen to demo one asap. You get local service and help fund the UK cycling industry.

If you're down this way testing a Bird at any stage, you're welcome to try my Canyon out for size over Swinley (depending on your size.. I'm 6ft, ride a Large).
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    edited May 2015
    If I was in the UK I'd prob go for the Bird but as I'm in the Alps I'd have to look at the Radon Slide at this sort of price (in fact it's cheaper than the Canyon)

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-slide-26-le-238526/wg_id-26

that's less than £1,200 for a 150mm travel bike...great entry point for any would-be Enduro racers out there
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    POAH wrote:
    spec on the vitus is a bit shoot compared to the canyon but the vitus is a lot cheaper - I'd rather have the manitou/RS suspension than the fox stuff on the canyon. you could spend the difference on putting better components on the vitus though.
    The Vitus got 4.5 stars at £1500, now it's even cheaper, also if it got those ratings on those components, then it should be better still with better ones if upgraded using the saving.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dirkpitt74
    Reading the reviews the wheel set on the Vitus may be a bit on the weighty side, but I don't think the other components are bad at all for the price.

The Bird looks great and the reviews are pretty positive - big bonus of being British, just not sure about the X-Fusion bouncey bits.....

Canyon looks to be the lightest of the 3....

Radon not too bad, but is 3x and 26" -although the bonus is I have a nice pair of Mavic Crossrides that may be slightly lighter than the Sunringle ones fitted....

**My head hurts!!!!**
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    DirkPitt74 wrote:

**My head hurts!!!!**

:lol:
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    Radon not too bad, but is 3x and 26"

I'd take the 34mm forks with the 26" wheels (and the increased travel) any day but like I say, probably more due to where and what I ride
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    DirkPitt74 wrote:

Radon not too bad, but is 3x and 26" -although the bonus is I have a nice pair of Mavic Crossrides that may be slightly lighter than the Sunringle ones fitted....

**My head hurts!!!!**

why does 3x and 26 get a but?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    Reading the reviews the wheel set on the Vitus may be a bit on the weighty side, but I don't think the other components are bad at all for the price.

The Bird looks great and the reviews are pretty positive - big bonus of being British, just not sure about the X-Fusion bouncey bits.....

Canyon looks to be the lightest of the 3....

**My head hurts!!!!**

X Fusion suspension is right up there with Fox and Rockshox, it's really good kit.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The 02 RCX shock is probably my favourite of all the shock options (despite the fact its the cheapest). It offers a very effective 4 position LSC setting, and is well controlled throughout the stroke, with just the right amount of progression for the frame. The Sweep is an excellent, and so far very reliable (we've sold lots) fork, with only 1 warranty to date. Its not _as_ good as a pike I'll admit, but its lighter & easy to live with, and has long service intervals.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.