Some Advice please..

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited May 2015 in The cake stop
Today I went to our local theme park with my wife and our six year old girl. On the big rollercoaster I was advised by the extensively tattooed assistant to remove my ray bans and so I did and these were handed over to the tattooed one. However once I and my little girl had finished the ride I was handed a different pair of ray bans, usual complaints were made and right from the get go the customer service people reiterated over and again that there were signs stating that they were not responsible for any personal losses.

What I would like to know is how responsible are the park in actual terms? The sunglasses will cost a lot of money to replace as they had prescription lenses in them, I would like to think the park should replace them but in reality do they have any right to?

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Unfortunately, unless it was mandatory to take them off, I don't think you have much you can do. I'm assuming the sign they put up is there to dispel liability. I'm guessing they'd turn around and aay you handed them over willingly since it wasn't made mandatory.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Surely if a staff member accepts them into his safe keeping that makes the company responsible.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Graham. wrote:
    Surely if a staff member accepts them into his safe keeping that makes the company responsible.

I think there may be something in that.

I recall from long time ago, that if you hang your coat up in a restaurant, then you are responsible for it. If however, the staff take your coat and hang it for you, then they have assumed legal responsibility for it.

I might be apocryphal, but I sure it was a legal chap that I heard it from.

The older I get, the better I was.

• southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Graham. wrote:

I think there may be something in that.

I recall from long time ago, that if you hang your coat up in a restaurant, then you are responsible for it. If however, the staff take your coat and hang it for you, then they have assumed legal responsibility for it.

I might be apocryphal, but I sure it was a legal chap that I heard it from.

I would write a letter of complaint to the owners of the park and describe what happened in detail. I would imagine that the ride has cctv covering the start/finish area in case of liability, so they should be able to see that the glasses were handed over. Explain that you were asked by the member of staff to hand them over for safekeeping and that you received back an alternative pair. As they were both Raybans, it was probably an honest mistake by the member of staff, however it is a mistake that the park should be made liable for.
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    I was advised by the extensively tattooed assistant

What relevance is this?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    crispybug2 wrote:

What relevance is this?

That's what I was thinking
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Chris Bass wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:

What relevance is this?

That's what I was thinking
    Thirded

The sunglasses switch and resulting failure to resolve the issue sounds unacceptable but I can't see why you are stressing the guys appearance. Unless there's some relevance you've failed to mention this is simply prejudice.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    The moment you were asked to remove them and they were taken by the staff member, they took charge of your goods regardless of signs. One of my wife friends is head of complaints at a large uk theme park and she deals with these types of issues and her first course of action is always to refuse claims using the signs posted onsite although they are aware that the law suggests differently.
    Living MY dream.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You need to watch these tattooed types. I live every day in fear of what illegal or immoral act my girlfriend might carry out.

Bellend.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    In fear? I look forward to the immoral acts....