Brake Pads, Campag

TheHound
TheHound Posts: 284
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Any suggestions on the softest grippiest pads that will fit Campag Athena 2015 calipers? Longevity isn't a concern.

I was looking at the Swiss Stop Green but it says they're Shimano only. However Campag have a bolt holding the pads in place so are they actually interchangeable?

Thanks.
Bianchi Intenso Athena
Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
Deda Superleggero seatpost

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Whats wrong with Campag pads? The new black ones are best Ive used. Swiss Stop green are rim wreckers, Kool Stop just collect metal shards and become rim wreckers.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    No experience of Swiss Stop but Koolstop salmon or dual compound are soft and grippy. I've always found them very kind to my rims. However, I do agree with on-yer-bike that the latest black standard Campag pads are very good.

Athena skeleton brakes as you say have a screw rather than the spring tongue on my brakes (Record). But the Campag part number for replacement pads is identical for all modern skeleton brakes - BR-RE 700 - so it would appear they fit both the screw and tongue types. So the Koolstop Super Record salmon or dual compound replacements for post 2011 brakes, said to fit all skeleton brakes, should be OK for your Athenas. They are widely available. Just make sure they have the little indentation on the back for tongue/screw. Alternatively, get a set of standard Campag pads.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Unless Swiss Stop have changed their range, the green and blue are available to fit both Campagnolo and Shimano; the former being called Race Pro and the latter Flash Pro. I've never had a problem with the green pads. Common sense requires that you inspect the pad face on a regular basis to check for swarf - this applies to all pads in my opinion. I experienced a heck of a fright on Sunday in the tour de Yorkshire sportive using Clarks pad holders with their own pads - they were perfectly fine in the dry but completely useless on the steep descents in the wet - the Swiss Stop greens would have dealt much much better.

Peter
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've just replaced the Campag pads on the Rourke after 6,000 miles with new campag pads. The new pads seem softer but probably just that the old pads had hardened. I'd keep with Campag pads, they work great.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Alright guys thanks. Normally stock pads are a bit crap. I'll stick with these for a bit.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I had a set of the blue Campag pads come with my Fulcrum Nites - I've killed them in 150 miles, and that's not a typo! 3 rides and they're below the minimum. I knew they were soft as there was dust all over the bike the first time I used them, and my rides were very hilly (15,000ft in 150 miles) but that's crazy.