Which budget wheelset? - advice please

road_runner12
road_runner12 Posts: 113
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Apologies in advance for asking a question that's been asked many times before. I'm in the market for a new wheelset to replace my stock wheels that came with my bike. 4ZA stratos are currently on the bike and looking for a replacement.

Currently looking at :
Fulcrum 5 @ £160
Shimano RS31 @ £130
Shimano RS61 @ £150
Shimano RS610 @ £160

Can't go above those prices sadly, but wanted to see what your thoughts were on those wheelsets. Not been on the bike regularly for over a year due to circumstances but eager to get stuck in again. Wanted a new wheelset to give me a kick start for 2015. Mainly focus on sportives and training rides to prepare these. Possible commuting later in the year too.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Wheels? Have a look at some Campag Khamsins. I paid £80 from Halfords.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • road_runner12
    My lack of knowledge in this area shows immediately - I didn't realise Campag did Shimano freehubs, oops!

Any suggestions of compatible wheelsets much appreciated. How do the Khamsins compare to the above wheels in terms of weight, durability and performance?
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    What's wrong with the 4za's?
  • road_runner12
    Nothing wrong with the 4ZA's, I'd keep them as a backup set. Just looking to treat myself but want to invest my money wisely in a set of wheels where I'd notice the different and ultimately feel the benefit.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Nothing wrong with the 4ZA's, I'd keep them as a backup set. Just looking to treat myself but want to invest my money wisely in a set of wheels where I'd notice the different and ultimately feel the benefit.

No huge return on any of these wheels - I would run the current ones, increasing fitness, save £20 a month for the next 5 months and buy campagnolo Zonda's for £250........a definite upgrade.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    The above comment makes a lot of sense to me.

BTW I put these Forzas / 4ZAs on my summer bike and really rate them: http://www.merlincycles.com/forza-cirru ... 72600.html - decent wheels.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    passout wrote:
    The above comment makes a lot of sense to me.

BTW I put these Forzas / 4ZAs on my summer bike and really rate them: http://www.merlincycles.com/forza-cirru ... 72600.html - decent wheels.

Just got a pair of those too, seem like good value for the money.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Apologies in advance for asking a question that's been asked many times before. I'm in the market for a new wheelset to replace my stock wheels that came with my bike. 4ZA stratos are currently on the bike and looking for a replacement.

Currently looking at :
    Fulcrum 5 @ £160
    Shimano RS31 @ £130
    Shimano RS61 @ £150
    Shimano RS610 @ £160

Can't go above those prices sadly, but wanted to see what your thoughts were on those wheelsets. Not been on the bike regularly for over a year due to circumstances but eager to get stuck in again. Wanted a new wheelset to give me a kick start for 2015. Mainly focus on sportives and training rides to prepare these. Possible commuting later in the year too.

Thanks in advance.
    Given none of the wheels listed are, as I understand it, much of a jump up from your current set or likely to make a particularly noticeable difference, it might make a lot more sense to spend money on nice tyres instead, unless you've already got some. A good set of light, flexible and grippy tyres will make a significant difference over the very basic tyres often provided with a bike. Something like Michelin Pro4 SC tyres would be a big step up compared with most stock tyres. They'll probably lose you some weight but more importantly they'll feel much nicer and reduce your rolling resistance.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Given none of the wheels listed are, as I understand it, much of a jump up from your current set or likely to make a particularly noticeable difference, it might make a lot more sense to spend money on nice tyres instead, unless you've already got some. A good set of light, flexible and grippy tyres will make a significant difference over the very basic tyres often provided with a bike. Something like Michelin Pro4 SC tyres would be a big step up compared with most stock tyres. They'll probably lose you some weight but more importantly they'll feel much nicer and reduce your rolling resistance.

And while you're at it, try some thin inner tubes like Conti Supersonic. Good tyres and thin inners are IMO the best bang for buck upgrade you can do. Its relatively cheap, effective and you're replacing consumable items anyway.

if you do insist on "upgrading" your wheels, I personally would go for the Zondas or talk to a good wheelbuilder to see what they can offer/advise. My new wheels are fab and not that expensive viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13026946
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    drlodge wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

And while you're at it, try some thin inner tubes like Conti Supersonic. Good tyres and thin inners are IMO the best bang for buck upgrade you can do. Its relatively cheap, effective and you're replacing consumable items anyway.

if you do insist on "upgrading" your wheels, I personally would go for the Zondas or talk to a good wheelbuilder to see what they can offer/advise. My new wheels are fab and not that expensive viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13026946

+1. But I found the Pro4 tyres a bit prone to cuts, so am going to try something else. But definitely do some new tyres, one of the biggest improvements you can make and relatively cheap: the likes of Wiggle, Ribble, CRC, et al all do top deals.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    SecretSam wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

+1. But I found the Pro4 tyres a bit prone to cuts, so am going to try something else. But definitely do some new tyres, one of the biggest improvements you can make and relatively cheap: the likes of Wiggle, Ribble, CRC, et al all do top deals.
    I haven't had any issues with cuts myself, although it may depend where you ride. I've had relatively little in the way of cuts with any tyres I've tried. My Pro4 SCs are still looking pristine after about 2000km.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Pretty much agree with what is said - at that price its not a worthwhile upgrade.

However, it is just possible that there is an exception - one wheelset is said to buck the trend at £175 with free Continental Tyres (spare spokes too!): http://road.cc/content/review/148314-cero-ar24-wheelset
  • freestyle_gus
    freestyle_gus Posts: 120
    Surely the Fulcrum 5 LG (£150 from http://www.bike-discount.de ) are a worthy upgrade?

A wider rim (17mm internal), so nice and comfy :D
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Surely the Fulcrum 5 LG (£150 from http://www.bike-discount.de ) are a worthy upgrade? :D

I bought a pair of Fulcrum 5 LGs a few weeks ago and paid £150 from Wiggle who price matched Bike Discount.de. They replaced the Axis Classics that came new on my Allez and which I luckily sold on locally for £65 to a guy who needed a new back wheel - I was therefore more than happy with the final bill.

The Fulcrums seem to corner better and are more comfortable than the originals but that might be in my head because I want them to be after spending the money. That said, I do wonder how much real difference I would notice had I spent even more money on the new wheels - being a mere mortal who doesn't race, I suspect the answer would be 'not a lot' but somebody will probably tell me otherwise.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)