Getting a lower degree stem - what to do about length?

dilatory
dilatory Posts: 565
edited May 2015 in Workshop
So I currently run a -8 deg 130mm stem and am about to buy a -17 deg. Using a stem chart it says keeping a 130mm in the -17 only increases my reach by 2mm. The alternative is a 120mm but that apparently gives me -8mm reach.

Is it right that although I'll be 20mm lower the overall reach is about the same so other than being lower down my fit will be similar?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited May 2015
    Dead easy, just use this site:

http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

Keep the steerer angle as 73 if you don't know it, it's close enough for most. The spacers height can be set to an arbitrary 50mm if keeping the same. Reach is stem length.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    dilatory wrote:
    So I currently run a -8 deg 130mm stem and am about to buy a -17 deg. Using a stem chart it says keeping a 130mm in the -17 only increases my reach by 2mm. The alternative is a 120mm but that apparently gives me -8mm reach.

Is it right that although I'll be 20mm lower the overall reach is about the same so other than being lower down my fit will be similar?

More or less.. I ran a 17degree stem so that it was horizontal.
    This year went for a 20 degree , so negative 3 degree... no real difference 'cept it looks even meaner.
    I would say however.. can you handle the flexibility to get on those drops and chew tape?
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Wicked, will stick to the 130mm then.

Yeah flexibility is not an issue!