Eddy Merckx EMX-7

hazy_day
hazy_day Posts: 84
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I've been looking at these frames currently on offer from Westbrook and was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts,experience of them.I know that Merckx make fine bikes but was wondering about this particular model.I should add I don't race.

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I was pondering one of their frames a while ago and this part of their warranty put me off:

The bicycle must be serviced a minimum of one time per calendar year at an official EMC dealer or at a dealer approved by EMC or one of its affiliated companies for the Strict Lifetime Warranty to remain in effect.

Pretty poor
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I was pondering one of their frames a while ago and this part of their warranty put me off:

The bicycle must be serviced a minimum of one time per calendar year at an official EMC dealer or at a dealer approved by EMC or one of its affiliated companies for the Strict Lifetime Warranty to remain in effect.

Pretty poor
    Not really. If I were offering a lifetime warranty on any piece of machinery I think I'd want the opportunity to inspect it now and again and once a year does not seem excessive. Try making a claim on a car which has never been serviced.
  • londoncommuter
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Pretty poor
    Not really. If I were offering a lifetime warranty on any piece of machinery I think I'd want the opportunity to inspect it now and again and once a year does not seem excessive. Try making a claim on a car which has never been serviced.

So you're happy (if you're competent enough to build your own bike up from a frameset) spending £100 a year or whatever an authorised dealer would charge you for a service? How would them changing a chain prevent a frame cracking? Just seems out of step with other manufacturers.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    [quote="londoncommuter
    So you're happy (if you're competent enough to build your own bike up from a frameset) spending £100 a year or whatever an authorised dealer would charge you for a service? How would them changing a chain prevent a frame cracking? Just seems out of step with other manufacturers.[/quote]

If you want a lifetime warranty you must expect the manufacturer to make some safeguards. He won't know how competent you are with the spanners, whether you've fitted the crown race properly for example or walloped the thing on with a hammer and chisel.

Most manufacturers just offer a limited time warranty and that's the way to go if you don't want any conditions.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Lifetime warranties are bobbins anyway.

Manufacturers determine how long a frame's 'lifetime' is, so lifetime may only mean 3 years and not forever as most people think.
  • londoncommuter
    Dinyull wrote:
    Lifetime warranties are bobbins anyway.

Manufacturers determine how long a frame's 'lifetime' is, so lifetime may only mean 3 years and not forever as most people think.

This is my fault we're completely off topic now but, as a comparison, look at that for Cervelo:

Starting January 1, 2004, each Cervélo Cycles Inc. (Cervélo) bicycle frame purchased after this date is warranted by Cervélo Cycles Inc. against defects in workmanship and materials for as long as the frame is owned by the original owner

Of course, if the frame fails because you've wacked it with a hammer or crashed into a lorry then you're on your own but a warranty should cover you if the fault is theirs, for a lengthy period and shouldn't depend on you jumping through hoops like compulsory services.