First bike

H_a_w
H_a_w Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in MTB beginners
hi all, after searching around and getting advice and recommendations from people I know that MTB, I've narrowed my search down to 2 bikes I like.

On one inbred hardtail with rockshox toro forks, Mavic 819 front rim with a hope hub, rear rim uses a shimano hub. Both running on tubeless tyres. hydraulic disc brakes, The front is an Avid juicy three with a 180mm rotor, the rear uses a Avid juicy three lever but a tektro auriga comp caliper and a 160mm rotor, Shimano hollow bottom bracket with shimano deore cranks, also using a rental front single speed ring.
The rear mech is an 8 speed shimano alivio, using a shimano 8 speed shifter.

Whyte 805 x8 2013 series hardtail
Spec: HAYES HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES
CONTINENTAL KING 2.2 TYRES
ROCK SHOX RECON WITH LOCK OUT FORKS, 26" ALEXRIM TD24 RIMS WITH WHYTE HUBS
27 SPEED SHIMANO SLX GEARS
HOLLOTECH BB, FSA HEADSET, TRIPLE BUTTED ALUMINIUM FRAME

There's all the info for anyone who wants it. My experience so far is xc and a bit of downhill.
I'm ensure first of all whether to go with tubeless or not, and secondly whether only 8 gears is too few? Both bikes are priced below £400.
Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Of the two I'd take the Whyte. Much lighter frame, better forks, much better gearing (SLX is much better than Acera).

Is 8 gears enough? That depends on where you ride and how fit you are, some people get by just fine with just 1 gear, I cope everywhere I want to ride with 9 (no front shifting which is what I presume you mean) which has only 'half a gear', more than the 8 as the rest are a bit closer together (most 8 speed will have an 11-32t spread at the rear, my 9 is 11-34), so yes it may well be enough.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.