shorts rubbing inner thigh/buttock ?

cyberknight
cyberknight Posts: 1,238
edited June 2015 in Road beginners
Recently i am suffering from chafing along the edge of the pad in the upper rear thigh/buttock area.The best way to describe it is the same area as your pant line follows at the outer edge of the pad.
Its pretty much the same whether i wear castelli, dhb or even cheap decathlon ones.
FCN 3/5/9

Comments

• Record11Ti
    Record11Ti Posts: 74
    Chamois Cream....

chamois_cream.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Try out some different shorts.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    had the same issue with pair of spesh shorts.

Solution for me - buy assos or ale shorts
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    my Assos shorts are my only pair that have rubbed up on the inside leg outside the rubber padding ; only done a few rides
  • graememacd
    graememacd Posts: 386
    If it's happening with different shorts then clearly they aren't the problem. Could it be possible your saddle is too high causing your hips to rock which could be the root of the chafing??
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    graememacd wrote:
    If it's happening with different shorts then clearly they aren't the problem. Could it be possible your saddle is too high causing your hips to rock which could be the root of the chafing??

This is good advice, also check you saddle is the right size / type by measuring your sit bones and sit correctly on the saddle.

My old saddle was too narrow and after a hour or so very painful. New one is fine.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    graememacd wrote:

Yes this is good advice. It sounds like a saddle position problem or the saddle shape or width.

Have you had a bike fit?
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    PTestTeam wrote:
    graememacd wrote:

Yes this is good advice. It sounds like a saddle position problem or the saddle shape or width.

Have you had a bike fit?
    No i havent , unfortunately i havent got £200 going spare although i did post a look at my fit thread on here and was told i was to far forward .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam wrote:
    graememacd wrote:

Have you had a bike fit?
    No i havent , unfortunately i havent got £200 going spare although i did post a look at my fit thread on here and was told i was to far forward .

Yes it does seem a lot of money – but it's one of the best things you could spend your money on – unless you have time to trawl the internet and use the masses of advice on there. However this can end up getting confusing!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    PTestTeam wrote:
    PTestTeam wrote:
    graememacd wrote:

Have you had a bike fit?

Yes it does seem a lot of money – but it's one of the best things you could spend your money on – unless you have time to trawl the internet and use the masses of advice on there. However this can end up getting confusing!
    But saddles are a very personal thing, so not sure a bike fit would solve the problem. Most bike shops would have a device to measure your sit bones on for free, and then you should be able to assess what height the saddle should be without a bike fit. The hard part is then finding a saddle and short combination that gives you the most comfortable ride.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam wrote:
    PTestTeam wrote:
    graememacd wrote:

Have you had a bike fit?

But saddles are a very personal thing, so not sure a bike fit would solve the problem. Most bike shops would have a device to measure your sit bones on for free, and then you should be able to assess what height the saddle should be without a bike fit. The hard part is then finding a saddle and short combination that gives you the most comfortable ride.

Getting the correct saddle position is more than just getting the height right. There are so many more factors involved in getting the right fit.